pampas grass

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by gippeswyk, Mar 19, 2005.

1. gippeswyk

gippeswyk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have aquired a rather large pampas grass (left by previous owners) I have been told to burn it, cut it right back, or just leave it. I would really love to know what to do as I quite like it and dont want to lose it :confused: am very new to gardening after moving from London to Gods [​IMG] county any help would be very welcom.

regards Vee

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,397
    Cut it down to as low as you can. The old method was to burn it off, to clear out all the old strawy material, but I dont think many people do that now. Where it comes from in S America (The Pampas) it gets burnt off by bush fires, so it can cope with fire.
    Believe me, whatever you do you will not LOSE IT.

3. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I used to burn mine back every few years and it would come back stronger each time. I suppose now though with the new rules and regulations you can only burn "smokeless" pampas in urban areas! ;)

4. gippeswyk

gippeswyk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Basse and Pete for your prompt response to my question, Will be out there tomorrow weather permitting with heavt duty gloves and cutting inpliments. I take it this is the right time to cut it back.
    Many thanks Vee