Papyrus advice

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by NIKKI D, Sep 27, 2012.

1. NIKKI D

NIKKI D Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have two fine cyperus - papyrus that I've nursed for about eight years. It's coming to the time when I should be bringing them indoors but I wondered about cutting them back prior to bringing them in. Over the past couple of years I've brutally cut them back before putting them out when the weather warms up but I wondered if I should be cutting them back for the winter instead. I'd be glad of some advice

TIA

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi Nikki , you shouldn`t cut them back at all , they will never reach the maximum high , expecially after a season like we had they barely growned to a decent size.
    Move your plant inside or in a greenhouse that will stay over the o zero and simple place them in a pot saucer filled with water at all the time , do not watering them during winter but simple keep the water saucer full.
    Perhaps , have you got a picture or do you know the variety? as many papyrus are hardy outdoor.

3. NIKKI D

NIKKI D Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'll try and find a pic. I've had them for years and have really cut them back hard the last two - they've grown back thick as anything. Problem is that they are large and hard to find space to overwinter them indoors and I wondered if cutting them back now would be the solution. I haven't cut back at this time of year before so I was a bit wary.

4. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    [​IMG]
    Can you not divide the plant? I do overwinter them in the greenhouse and always let the nature do his course and usually by December they start to die back .
    what about divede the plant and leave some of the stem on and trim the rest down?

5. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi nikki I was just looking on somewhere for a picture of what I was talking about and look this is what you can do , but do not cut to the base as the plant will die.
    [​IMG]
    and it highly advice to divide the plants as well .

6. lemontree

lemontree Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks Amazing, had many as a child surrounded with tropical fish ,
    If keeping indoors with the leaves , will need plenty of light assume

7. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Whatever you do Nikki, don't copy Thor Heyerdahl with your cuttings.
    I never believed they floated.:heehee: