1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Parkers Quality ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DMM, Mar 2, 2020.

1. DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
    +259
    Hi everyone

I've never ordered from Parkers before [but have perused their website more times than I can count!]. Just wondered what others experience has been with them? I'm looking at some Veronica/Veronicastrum, Lychnis Chalcedonica and also Begonia Firewings [for baskets]. Thompson & Morgan purchases in the past pretty much haven't lived up to what I'd expected so have stopped ordering from them now and would be interested to hear about peoples Parkers experiences.
    Thanks
    D

• Like Like x 1
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      In my opinion Parkers are a really good source of plants. I've been dealing with them for years and never had a problem with them.

The other company I use is Hayloft.. later in the season they start doing collections of plants, usually 10 or 12 of so.ething for £10.

• Like Like x 1
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,490
        I can't say I've bought of them before but I've heard mixed reviews some say they are good others not so good :noidea:

By the way Veronica and Veronicastrum are two different plants, they are related but totally different sizes . Veronica are small normally under 3ft and flower from spring to summers months, on the other hand Veroncastrum are 5ft plus some of mine get to 7ft and they are great plants one of my favourites. I grow both types but would pick veronicastrum out of the two

Lychnis C is relatively easy from seed , I got some free last year on a magazine and had a go.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
          +259
          Thanks KFF - that's good to know .... and helpful.
          Re Hayloft, I saw their website whilst searching and had a quick look at it so great to hear some positive feedback for that site too. I will keep a look out on there also.

• DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
          +259
          Thanks Perki. I seem to have seen mixed reviews also on the old www but KFF has said he's had no problems with them which is helpful.

I realise that Veronica and Veronicastrum are different - I am looking for different heights to build up a particular area from low to high. Just thought that the Veronicastrum may get a little too high for the area I have in mind but now you've extolled their virtues I shall definitely be purchasing ... no matter how high they get ! Do you have white or purple ? I love the look of the white Veronicastrum Virginicum Album ....

Thanks also for heads up re Lychnis.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I have used them in the past and some of the buys have been good, but I once bought 9 named Perennial Poppies in one of their "collection" offers. Several months later, all the "named" Perennial Poppies, all turned out to be a bright red common Poppy. To say I was not best pleased and very disappointed over the wrong items but it was the loss of time in finding out and not being able find those named Poppies at that time of year.:wallbanging: So, Parkers, is to me, one of the "pack 'em, stack 'em and sell them cheap" Firms that do sell good items you just have to choose carefully......and if anything is not right, contact them immediately.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            I first dealt with Parkers in 1965. Purchased my first ever collection of roses from them. I still have two of the collection. Over the years I have made various purches of plug plants etc. A quantity of Polyanthus and Pansy plugs arrived looking a bit sad, as they had been delayed by the courier. Mentioning this to them. Not to worry, we will send a fresh order out. Half of my GH now is covered with a double amount, perhaps my bit of TLC did the trick. Nevertheless, I have to say. I have never had cause for complaint regarding their service.

However sad to say. A recent collection of bare root roses, proved to be a bit of a hit & miss. Never mind, they were really cheap so no problem.

As with many sellers, they do have plenty of special offers. These are well worth considering, especially where you can quickly increase by propagation.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +8,490
              I have three Varieties of Veronicastrum but all are good.

V . Fasination

DSC00716.JPG

V. Diane
              DSC00817.JPG

And I have Pink glow but I can't find a picture. V. Diane is a pure white ( album has a hint of pink I believe ) Diane is also shorter around 4 - 5ft. I have some veronica at the end of the border above which is white 3ft tall and is call Schneeriesin ( Veroncia charlotte is also 3ft with variegated foliage ) . Veronica I've grown always have a tendency to fall over.

• Like Like x 5
              • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                Ratings:
                +1,200
                Never had a problem with Parkers bulbs, or perennial bulbs, but last year ordered some bare root plants for a small customer order, the Kolkwitzia pink clouds ended up being climbing Hydrangea, the foxtail lillies were dead, and the cimicifuga were not cimicifuga but a perennial Geranium, phoned and complained, they would not exchange or refund as it was beyond the 30 days after dispatch, even though I explained it took them 13 days to get to me from the dispatch date.
                Having said that, all the bulbous plants were correct, and performed as expected.

• Informative Informative x 3
                • Like Like x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,320
                  I find that Veronicastrum is one of the most popular plants with the bees :blue thumb:

Can't help you with who to buy from as we don't buy. We propagate plants and swap plants with friends but we all have well established gardens.

• Like Like x 6
                  • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                    +259
                    Oh they are lovely Perki .... Diane is gorgeous. As is your garden by the looks! I can't find an envy emoji .... lol

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                      +259
                      Thanks to you all for your responses, info and Parkers experiences. All very helpful and much appreciated.
                      D

• DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                      +259
                      Update: have ordered and am excited. Do you all feel the same at this time of year? Anticipation of the new growth, spurts of beauty and eventual blossoming ... the absolute fascination of it all ............ ?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                        Ratings:
                        +1,200
                        I like your use of colour, particularly the hint of orange in both piccies which makes the purple spectrum pop, and the Hydrangea arborescens or fat heads as we used to call them, to draw the eye, and I bet its full of pollinators in summer, I like your planting style.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,288
                          What's the violet-flowered plant in the background in the second photo, @Perki? Is it monarda, looks great with the white veronicastrum!

Nick