1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Part Worn Tyres??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Beckie76, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,435
    In my lovely old market town, there are several 'hand car washes' which have popped up over the last few years (I have no problem with this at all) whilst driving through town the other week I noticed one of the sites had a big banner all printed up in bold writing 'part worn tyres for sale' well I couldn't believe my eyes! Part worn tyres??? For sale? To put on your car? I would never dream of putting used tyres on my car!
    I've had a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this since I saw the banner, but managed to keep it quiet until this morning when I over heard (a man who should know better) telling his wife he was going to get some part worn tyres for his SON'S car, after quite a heated debate between his wife, me & his son he could see how silly he was being & has sent his son to buy some new tyres.
    I don't want to start a debate nor do I want anyone to fall out but I'd really like your opinion on buying part worn tyres!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,054
      I wouldn't use them for safety reasons but I have seen a few places selling them. I suppose it depends how much you save and how much you value your life.

My daughter bought a nearly new car recently over the internet with less than 10k miles on the clock. She got a puncture and was shocked to find that they had fitted a different set of tyres from original, the tyres fitted were older than the car! This is not illegal but it is very dodgy in my opinion.

A quick google reveals this:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,609
        Hmmm, were I to decide to no longer drive one of my vehicles in the winter, I might decide to sell the winter tyres. Which I have used for approximately 1,000 kilometers. So, I don't think this would be wrong :scratch:

• Agree Agree x 3
        • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
          +428
          Part worn tyres make sense if you have a car which you're only planning to drive for certain amount of time, for example: I had this 1997 Nissan Micra and there was no way on earth that this old lady would have gone through the MOT. And then I had a puncture :wallbanging:. At that point I had already ordered my new car, which was supposed to be delivered in a few weeks time. I did get a cheap part worn tyre - not from the side of the road, but from my good old faithful mobile tyre exchange service (won't tell names). The tyre was from Germany, because like JWK quite rightly said, the Germans are a lot stricter with minimum treat depth than we are. There was no point spending lots of money on a new tyre which would have fitted my Micra, but not the new car, for the sake of a few weeks.

I wouldn't however buy a full set of part worn tyres for a new or new-ish car to drive on them on a permanent basis.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +31,857
            Lots of scrap yards are selling them, but by the time you pay them to change your tyres it's just as cheap to go to a tyre place and buy a new cheap tyre for around £30

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
              Ratings:
              +49,478
              Agree with all of the above - only use part worns as a way to get out of a bit of a jam for a few weeks, or if you can absolutely guarantee their provenance (such as buying winter tyres from @CanadianLori)

I am a bit of a sod when it comes to tyres, as I don't even believe in using the el-cheapo, love-you-longtime things; when it boils down to it, the only contact your car has with the road are four wee patches less than the size of an A4 bit of paper - therefore, buying good quality tyres at least ensures that the most is being made out of those contact patches, especially in the wet or under braking.

About twenty years ago, my company car (Primera 2.0 GSXi) needed tyres and my boss had made an arrangement with the local tyre place to fit a set of el-cheapo's (I can't even remember the name of them now, but they were utter rubbish in my eyes) - - I found out when I took the car down to have the tyres fitted, and before the car had even seen an air-wrench, I paid the difference between the cheapo's and a set of Pirelli's out of my own pocket. No way was I running around for thousands of miles with tyres like those.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                Many new cars are supplied with a can of stuff to spray into a flat tyre and get you to the nearest garage for a replacement tyre, but this doesn't work with some types of punctures, nor damage from 'tyre slashers'.

So a second hand wheel+tyre can be a useful/cheaper alternative (I've got such a vehicle, but have both a 'spacesaver' spare + a full size spare - had 2 flats in a weekend disrupt my plans, never again).

Getting 'trade' prices from my local tyre garage for new tyres/punctures helps a lot, and it's close enough to take them in a wheelbarrow.

• Like Like x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,333
                  The tyres on my car are part worn. I bought them new and they are a top quality tyre but I've had them for quite a while. I'm very happy with them.

So, it's not the 'part worn' bit that would bother me. It's whether the tyres are a decent make and are in good enough condition.

• Agree Agree x 5
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                    Ratings:
                    +7,623
                    It's a minimum of 1.6mm isn't it?

If I only used my car for shopping trips - then I'd be fairly comfortable fitting part worn tyres.

The problem for these 2nd hand tyre sellers - is that you can buy a new tyre for £30.

I've a couple of BCT (Beijing Capital Tyres) on the back of my car - apart from speed ratings, the EU now require the specs for wet braking; noise and fuel economy to be advertised on tyres. The BCT match the Michellin tyes I used to buy - on speed rating, fuel economy and noise - and one car length behind when stopping in the wet. I can't tell any difference apart from the fact they are half the price.

If you drive like a maniac - then some day the 1 car extra stopping distance in the wet may make a difference - if you are silly (stupid?) enough to put yourself in a position where you need that extra stopping space.

Nowadays - made in China does not mean poor quality.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                      Don't know what it is, but I get them checked at my local tyre garage before a service/MOT, then tell them (the other places who want to sell me new tyres) that they've got it wrong and to sort things out after I'm wrongly told they're illegal when they're OK.

• Like Like x 1
                      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                        +19,595
                        I bought part worns once. Utter disaster.

One might think, as I did at the time, that if the tread is good and they're the right size, then all is good. NO NO NO and then more nos beside.

You don't know their history. Perhaps they've done 30,000 miles while under inflated, the the walls have lost their structural integrity, so now the tyre flexes in new and creative ways the car manufacturer hadn't considered when setting up your suspension geometry. Perhaps they've done only a hundred miles, but have been sat in damp conditions for 3 years and the rubber has gone brittle. Worse, perhaps one tyre has one history and another entirely different, so now even with identical spec tyres, you actually have a serious and dangerous mismatch.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +16,246
                          They have been selling part worn tyres since Henry Ford was a lad . It's not some shoddy new idea . It is an established and legitimate trade , so probably best not to get a bee in your bonnet :biggrin:. Now for me I prefer new tyres , I would not feel 100% using part worns . At one time you could also buy remolds or retread tyres, now I'm not sure if these are still legal ?

• Like Like x 2
                          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                            Ratings:
                            +30,609
                            I totally agree that el cheapo would never be the way to go. My families' lives are at stake here. I don't think I've paid under a £100 for a tyre. I guess it comes down to checking the manufacturer/style, and physically measuring the amount of tread left.:scratch:

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                              Ratings:
                              +7,623
                              I haven't seen remoulds for years - I suspect the so called 'economy' tyres have taken their slice of the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
                              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                                Ratings:
                                +49,478
                                @clanless - I agree that made in China doesn't necessarily mean poor quality in every case, sadly there are still a hell of a lot of Chinese stuff that is very poor quality and is often a knock-off of a knock-off...... take those scooter things that are the latest fad as a fine example; bet they don't look so much of a bargain to those who have had their house burned down?

Also bear in mind that the extra car length quoted can be the difference between life and death - literally; and it has nothing to do with driving like a maniac, or driving too close - - what about that pedestrian that steps off the pavement whilst engrossed with their smart phone or MP3 player?

I'd rather not take the chance.

To answer an earlier question, yes the minimum tread depth for cars is 1.6mm, but I personally prefer to have mine replaced around the 2mm mark; for buses and lorries that is 1mm.