1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Passiflora Empress Eugenie needs a place to rule- help!

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Selleri, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,636
    It was one of those "just pop into Morrisons to get fresh bread"- trips, when Empress Eugenia forced me to take her home. I have always loved passion fruit plants and planned to get one in my gardenlet some day, but unfortunately the Empress is not hardy.

I need your help- where shall I plant her?:please:

The great plan was to grow her in our luminous, cold bathroom, but in practice the plant has to be moved around when cleaning, so it can't grow fixed to a wall support.

Option number 2 is to introduce it to our ceiling- high avocado tree to peacefully ramble up the stems. Do you think this would work?

Would the Empress suffocate the avocado? Or should I risk growing her outdoors in a big container? Newcastle is not something most would describe as "milder area"( in any sense).

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Empress Eugenia will only survive to -8c , so I wouldn`t suggest outdoor .
    do the classic passiflora pot arrangment .

[​IMG]

3. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    ps so far one of the hardiest passiflora it`s the fata confetta .

[​IMG]

will die down in winter but it will take -20c

• Like Like x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,636
      Thank you Sal, both for the advise and for the smashing photos!

I'll definitely make room for a hardy Passiflora next summer, they are just so gorgeous and quirky plants. I saw one in Italy which had actually bent the cast iron fence rods to suit its growing preferences- the stems were thumb thick and very, very strong.

Meanwhile, I'll try my Eugenia in the bathroom until spring. Now I'll only need some decent looking support system which can be moved when the hubby cleans the bathroom. I can't attach anything on the wall around the window so the support must be self- standing and look nice.

Any suggestions anyone?