1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

passion flower

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by brazil, Oct 8, 2005.

1. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello all got an exotic looking passionflower in the greenhouse it is not any of the outdoor hardy varieties it has grown everywhere the greenhouse is unheated it survived the last two years when would i need to cut it back and how much it is huge but beautiful :D :D

2. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    I can't help you, Brazil, but I'd love to see a photo. I have a ordinary blue one.

3. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello i will take a photo but i have got to invest in a digital camera and try to work out how to post them on here when i do you will see it is lovely :D :D

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,033
    Hi brazil, did you get it from Wisley?
    I trim mine back about now if absolutely necessary (never could spell that word), If you need to. :D
    But its not the best time, and some dont like to be cut back hard anyway, if you must I think spring is best when growth has started.
    Why not take a few cuttings now, if you've got a propagator, or even on the window sill.

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, I was lookig up the same thing as I have 3 not very exotic Passion flowers which have grown lots but not produced any flowers in their first season. I found this site:

//www.easyfruit.co.uk/passiflora/
    Which contains the following relevant bit:-

Passion flowers flower on the current years growth so it's important to prune your plants in the spring as growth starts. Remove any older shoots which have become unity or trim back any over long ones.

New shoots will quickly sprout from other areas of the vine stems, these should be trained over a trellis or wires and tied in before they become too long, new ripened shoots are very brittle and if not tied to their support in time they may snap when trying later.

Seems to agree with Pete!

6. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    no pete did not get it from wisley got it as a young plant cannot remember where. my dahlia imperialis died but i do go to see them on the tropical borders often but i do get lots of freebies from work but i have got to stop my garden is not that large it is filled to explosion point but it is hard when you are a plantaholic

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,033
    I simpathise with the plantaholic bit, could do with an extra couple of acres myself.
    Pity the dahlia died. How tall have they reached at Wisley now? :D

8. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello pete the dahlias now are about 10 to 12ft they should be coming into flower within the next month i will keep checking the cornus kousa chinensis is looking fab with those strawberry like fruits on that is the tree i pay a weekly homage to i won one this year in a raffle it had 1 bract but with some tlc it will be my star plant :D :D

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,033
    So they haven't flowered yet, touch and go I would think with the frost coming up soon now.
    The Cornus sounds interesting, and well worth looking after, presume you should get more bracts each year.