1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Patches of 'coarse' grass self seeded into an old and well established lawn.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by David E Peacock, Jun 23, 2016.

1. David E Peacock

David E Peacock Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +165
    I inherited three quite large lawns when I moved to my current home some 18 years ago. We have managed to keep them relatively weed free over the years and I am quite pleased with the general condition.
    My main problem is a number of parches of coarse grass (broad leaved & fast growing) which have self seeded and developed. Most of the patches are not too big (perhaps about 6 to 8 inches) the largest being perhaps 2 to 3 feet in either direction.

I am considering 'repairing' of the smaller areas by cutting out the offending patches with the spade, refilling with loam and reseeding; and would probably wait now untill September to carry this out.

The bigger areas worry me though. I suppose I am correct in assuming that the only way is to dig them out and re-seed too?

Opinions / comments would be appreciated.

David

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,020
    You could spray them off with weedkiller, wait till they die down then rake away the dead grass and re-seed, that will save digging.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • David E Peacock

David E Peacock Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +165
      A very good idea, I will sleep on that one . . .

David

• Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      The problem with digging out areas of weed grass is that their roots can travel all over the place and unless you get every minuscule piece of root out, they will soon resurface.

Take couch grass for instance... it's roots are a nightmare to get rid of as they spead so far and wide, plus it seems to grow faster than most other grasses and when you mow your lawn, there often stubborn 'soldier' stems and with many weeds grasses, broader and unsightly base leaves are left behind, regardless of how sharp your mower's blade is.

I advocate @JWK 's avice of weedkilling the weed grass foliage to kill off the roots and later on, repatch the bare areas with new seed.