Patchy lawn needs thickening. How? I'm new to gardening :)

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by DenProject, Mar 29, 2012.

1. DenProject

DenProject Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. We have two grassed gardens. Both have patches where no grass is growing albeit quite small patches. These areas are really compact with dirt. The rest of the grass has various other weed-looking things amongst it. Is there any way I could get the grass growing all over the lawns whilst tackling the non-grass cretins?

A bit more info: We moved to the house last year before the summer and the lawns were in a much worse state. The side one had severe undulations and the rear had a concrete path running all the way down it. The grass was a little more patchy in both. I removed the path, making sure to take out all the concrete and I did a good job. I removed some dirt from the high parts of the side garden and filled in the gap where the path was. Both lawns were now as level as I could get them.

Next, I layed down grass seed as per the instructions and the grass started growing well and was looking good but again in patches. This year has not seen an improvement in the density of the grass although it is growing on all the lawn so it looks miles better than when we first moved in.

Both gardens are, I reckon, half covered in shade for much of the day due to the fencing/hedges. However this hasn't really effected where the patchy bits are as they are equally spread in both lawns so I'm not too worried about that.

I think I've covered everything but feel free to ask any more questions. Ultimately I just want a nice, green dense lawn!!

Thanks guys!

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,311
    It's difficult to work out the problem here Denproject. Lawns can become patchy if they face north or east with little sun. Are you letting it grow too long before it's mowed? You can mow during the winter months to if it's not boggy under foot, but don't cut it to short or you will risk frost damage.

For the time being I would prick over the patchy areas with a garden fork to aerate the soil and re-seed them. It is still a little early in the season for good growth, but try it and don't forget to keep it watered if there is no rain.

In two to three weeks I suggest you use a weed and feed fertilizer that should help bring the lawn up to standard. Don't weed and feed the new patches this season as it's always best to leave the new growth to it's own devices for the first year. :)

3. DenProject

DenProject Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok buddy, I'll give that a go. What weed and feed fertilizer would you recommend? Thanks!!

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,311
    First you have a choice between liquid or granular. If you use granular you will need to water that in yourself. Evergreen produce a good granular one, but last year I used B & Q's granular which had good results. I have a large front lawn so I use granular so that I can see where it is and that it's fairly evenly spread before I water in. :)

5. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I have four dogs and a small lawn, and on the front a shaded lawn which attracts moss, so they always need a bit of tlc in spring and autumn.

First I scarify the lawn, then aerate it with a fork. Following that I top dress it with compost and then scatter lawn seed, rake it lightly and then water it. Keep it moist if there isn't enough rain and within a few weeks you should start to see signs of new life.

Do this again in Autumn (September is the best time to plant grass seed according to Monty Don). You could also give it a feed at both times but I only usually do this in September (and the grass shoots up).