1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Patio, slab, concrete cleaner

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mazambo, Mar 8, 2019.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Can anyone recommend a cleaner for slabs? Some are buff and some are grey and need a really good clean, I know can jetwash them but I don't think that alone will do the job.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I used to use my jetwash on our York stone patios and paths. Always a pain, 'cos you have to "suit up."
    I now use "Wet & Forget." "It does what is says on the tin."

A neighbour used a pump spray with a mild solution of bleach. This was very effective on his drive which was ordinary concrete paving slabs.

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      My yard is slabbed I did buy some patio cleaner but found a good strong bleach about £1 and a hard strong yard brush tends to do the job better so thats what i use now

The garden path and at the bottom of the garden is pattened black concrete most cleaners would clean it but they would also remove some of the colour so i use bucket of water / strong washing up liqiud and hard brush it cleans the concrete and birds poo as well

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,496
      I started a thread some time ago about this but can't find it. :noidea: Never mind.:)

I don't use bleach, or similar, as I'm not happy about runoff into the garden and possible effect on the plants bordering the patio. Our paving is about 2,000sq ft which would require the use of a lot of bleach.

As our paving is a soft sandstone it tends to get really mucky and very difficult to clean even with a pressure washer and doing it four times a year (it needed it!) was getting too much for me. :old:

So, like Doghouse, I use Wet and Forget. It's expensive, but works.

Here's part of the record I was keeping of its progress. They say it can take quite a while for it to work - and they were right.

1/12/16
      P1310702.JPG

P1310707.JPG

2/1/17 Not much change and although it was gradually improving I added another coat in May
      P1310735.JPG

19/8/17
      P1350387.JPG

P1350389.JPG

17/5/18
      P1380991.JPG

It's now in need of another coat as green algae is returning on the areas closest to the lawn (mainly the two rows of slabs) and, as there is a fair amount dirt from muddy boots (been doing a lot of gardening this last month) I shall give it a quick pressure hose in a month's time before reapplying W&F.

I apply it with an ordinary 6 litre pump sprayer, on a still and sunny day, and then just leave it. No brushing etc.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      Everybody, thanks for your helpful advice, wet and forget had been one I'd seen that had great reviews but it's always better when people you trust tell you it works, got some scraps of slab so I'll probably have a go at all your idea's, thanks again

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +6,953
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +611
        Hi shiny your patio nice nice pics

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,496
          @roders that one is expensive and toxic!!! :yikes: Quite expensive for bleach :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1