Payment Protection Insurance - Telephone Scam Warning

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by alex-adam, Sep 30, 2011.

1. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I have just had a telephone call……”Welcome to the PPI Helpline – according to our records you have not received your compensation payment for miss-sold Payment Protection Insurance”………As I have never had such insurance I put the phone down, - No doubt the message would have gone on to say “ For more information press the # key on your phone”…, and you would be connected to one of those premium lines which run up huge bills.
    This is clearly aimed at taking advantage of the vulnerable folk who may be pursuing a genuine claim.
    Please be aware!!
    I have informed our local police and on Monday will be contacting Trading Standards and the local Press.

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
  3. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    *dim* what's with the picture?:scratch:

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,296
    Well done Alex :dbgrtmb:.

As a general guideline:-
    If you didn't initiate the call then it's a scam.

You can either hang up - the recommended way to go - or enjoy yourself winding them up.

I work on the second way and try to keep them on the phone as long as possible. I would have asked them to hang on whilst I checked my paperwork, waited two minutes and then picked up the phone and said it wasn't in that file but hang on whilst I just check the other file. Then come back again two minutes later saying that I had found the papers and which of the 11 insurances were they talking about. Then sound very confused etc etc :heehee:

Yesterday I had someone phone saying they were doing a survey on behalf of some big companies. They got a bit confused when I asked them how much they would pay me to take part. Particularly when I seemed unable to understand that I was supposed to do it for nothing. They then told me I would be entered into a prize draw so I asked them all about it and what I could win. The first prize was a holiday and the second was a watch. So I asked them what happens if I win the holiday and could I have the watch instead. I only managed to keep them for 9 minutes :( and I'm still trying to beat my record of 22 minutes :D.

• Like Like x 3
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      pic is of an internet cafe where the Nigerian 419 scam is sent ... thought it was relevant to this thread, however, feel free to delete

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      Oh how strange, I had something similar!! My answerphone is on all the time so they left the message telling me to call back. Needless to say I didn't I just deleted it.

Val

• Aesculus

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      no that's fine just didn't understand it:rolleyespink: and we only delete post's if they contravene real rules:WINK1:

On a separate note I had someone call up yesterday and ask me about my windows PC at which point I told him I didn't care what he was selling or surveying and put the phone down:wallbang:

we get calls like that quite regularly yet only a few people know the number:scratch:[​IMG]

• alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,073
      Thanks for replies thus far. Note: This call was a recorded message, with calls when a 'real' person in on the phone I usually tell them, politelty to P*** Off (Push Off, of course).

Seriously, please tell any friends etc., who may be pursuing a genuine claim to be careful.

• watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
      +549
      Get your self registered with the telephone preference service CLICK ME you get put on a list that companies are not allowed to call. (or removed from ones they can call) If you then get a call, first question why are you calling?

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        I use the message machine as a "Firewall" and only pick up the phone if I recognise the voice or want to talk to who ever it is calling. I really don't like cold callers and get a loss of humour with scam calls so the message machine saves my nice side from becoming my bad side.:D:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
        • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,951
          I do exactly the same, apparently it is called "call screening" but I am amazed at the number of times my phone rings during the day and then when they hear it is a machine they just ring off!!!

Val

• Aesculus

Cashier
          Ratings:
          +1,337

There's one for Junk Mail as well (Mail Preference Service) excellent, will be signing up to both of those after the house move!

Many Thanks:dbgrtmb:[​IMG][​IMG]

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,834
          The trouble with those lists banning companies from cold calling is that it only works with UK companies.:dunno:

Well, obviously, Gemini, "call screening" works for you as well as me:thumbsup::D

• Like Like x 1
          • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,593
            12 years ago when I first came to the UK, I applied for a bank account ... I had no other accounts in the UK. I had a pay as you go mobile phone which was unregistered, an no-one knew my number except for my wife, my mom and the bank

a few weeks later, I received several calls on a daily basis from various companies trying to sell me stuff (from car insurance to double glazing etc) .... The companies who phoned knew my full name

so, perhaps some large companies such as banks etc sell your personal info to companies who do cold calls?

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +117,296
            On a lighter note - When I was still at work we used to occasionally get obscene phone calls as it was mainly females working there. The phone rang and one of the girls answered it and the male voice at the other end started to make obscene suggestions. She listened for about 10 seconds and then told the caller to hang on a moment and yelled out to one of the other girls "Sharon, it's for you!" and held the phone out to her :loll:. When Sharon took the phone he started again and she just roared with laughter. He hung up! :heehee: