1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Peach Leaf Curl

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Jack Snakes, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Jack Snakes

Jack Snakes Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi Guys,
    Hadf a rather straggly looking peach tree for a few years now that caught PLC within about 30 seconds of being planted in the garden. For the last two years it's been pretty horrible and aside from pulling a few of the most affected leaves off, I haven't really done anything. This year, I pulled a few more off early doors, and now the thing is lush! Big and bushy... so, question...
    Keeping moisture off plant is key apparently (either that or just pulling off affected leaves immediately...) so either I shelter it under something (not really practical) or I bag it and tie the opening around the trunk (it's only a little tree...)
    However, if I bag it. the condensation caused by the leaves transpiring will soak the plant anyway...
    Any ideas on how to keep a shrub dry?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya Jack

No, don't " bag" it. Yep! It will create condensation and all sorts of other problems too :sad:

I successfully keep PLC at bay by, I think, understanding the process. What causes PLC and when!

The very best way of growing peaches is against a wall or fence and erecting a pole or batten at the top and add a length of polythene you can roll up and down. More simple than it sounds.:)
    I did this for a friend of mine using heavy duty polythene rolled on a pole on brackets and weighted at the bottom with a couple of bricks. You could attach to a wooden batten too. It is a mild open often damp situation, viz., you can see the famous St. Michaels Mount from there so damp sea air sometimes but this PLC protection works very well. Because it is mild, winter protection is not necessary but elsewhere you could substitute a roll of fleece if frost is a problem. (PLC is not a problem on the bare foliage over winter)

I found a spray of neem oil in autumn at leaf fall and again in spring before bud burst is effective. Bordeaux mixture was ideal....you can get a similar product. Neem oil is also effective for gooseberry mildew and sawfly by the way. You would need to apply again when it rains if bushes outside and unprotected.

"Keeping foliage dry"? If you kept it dry, i.e. Free from rain, you would not get PLC as the spores are air borne and carried by rain. I grow 2 varieties and had plenty of fruit this summer as always. Delicious! Nothing in the shops is as tasty as your own :rasp: Think I posted pictures! Keeping rain off is important ...at the criticial times as mentioned below....but you also need good air circulation.

My own bushes are in largish containers.....they are sprayed as above and then moved into the gh, sprayed again in spring as above then moved outside in June time. The odd leaf may succumb to PLC but pretty rare so not a problem.

It is the NEW foliage that is vulnerable to PLC I found. Once the leaves "harden", so late spring onwards, PLC is not a problem. Yes, pick off any blistered leaves you see.

There is a PLC resistant variety....Avalon I think from memory.....and the taste is reputedly very good. I am planning for an apricot and this will be fan trained against the wall.

How big are your trees Jack? When my bushes were small I suspended clear plastic sheets over them and weighted with bricks. Perhaps a parasol ? Never done this but should be effective employed only when it is wet.

Hope this helps Jack:)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Jack Snakes

Jack Snakes Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +121
      The thing is quite small at the moment - certainly less than a metre high... was also thinking of some kind of wigwam over it...

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Thanks for your reply..
      Will be fine Jack. :)
      When you eat your first peaches it will all be worthwhile:Wino: