1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Peach trees in Scotland!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by breezylee, Nov 5, 2013.

1. breezylee

breezylee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have 2 peach trees planted on the south facing wall of a large garden in the boarders, They were planted early spring of this year and are looking very healthy! (although no fruits yet) They still have plenty of leaves on them but the temperature has now dropped and i am worried about frost damage... should i wrap fleece around the trees for winter? also should i mulch the base of the trees?
    I also planted 8 apple trees, 3 pear, 2 sweet cheery and 2 plum trees at the same time all around the walls of the garden so any advice on what to do with these this winter would also be appreciated :-)
    many thanks

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

Peach trees like a cold winter, but I don't fancy your chances of getting fruit in Scotland. Anything North of the midlands is a bit of a gamble with them :sad:

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about it, is there any chance you can build a frame around the Peaches to put frost protection when the blossom comes? You'd have to hand polinate them though.

4. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    Hi breezylee:) The idea of a frame is a good one. If you could form a sort of lean-to frame with polythene sheeting over it to keep the rain and snow off, there's less chance of peach-leaf curl (a nasty fungal disease) attacking the tree. You could also use it to fix fleece or more plastic all around as winter protection. As Zigs said, though, you'll need to get to the flowers in Feb(?) and tickle them all with a soft artists brush to ensure pollination and fruit.
    Here's a link with a downloadable diagram for a shelter....http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=232

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0

Check 21 minutes into the program :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,694
      I think DaveW grows peaches, but not sure if they are in a greenhouse.

As far as I know they are totally hardy in the UK, unless you get very low temps.
      They will flower when the weather allows, so in general, the further North you are the later they will flower, and pollination is required, best done by spaying the blossom with water on sunny days around midday.(a tip from Dave).
      Ripening the fruit could be the biggest problem, although if you have picked the earliest varieties you could be OK.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,311
      They're hardy, yes, but don't underestimate the effects of PLC as I did over here last year:sad: I don't spray chemicals if I can help it, but having lost 2 peaches and a nectarine tree, the replacements will be sprayed when the neighbours do theirs from now on. Being standard trees there's no option for physical protection against rain-borne disease spores.
      I managed to control things in the UK by picking off any infected leaves from the fan-trained peaches as soon as they were spotted, but whether that would work in a damp climate? in Scotland is doubtful.
      Go for the mulching, breezylee! It does help protect the roots of recently-planted trees and shrubs. Do leave a good space around the trunks, though:)