1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Peach trees in the UK climate?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by sam090112, Sep 4, 2011.

1. sam090112

sam090112 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, this is my first post, and a question that has been plaguing me for weeks.

Is it possible to successfully grow peaches outdoors in the UK climate?

I'm very keen to grow Penegrine, for it's 'excellent flavour' (RHS website) but have been told that peaches always die of peach leaf curl locally (even the resistant strains), by a gentlemen working for our local garden centre. Indeed, none of the local garden centres seem to sell them..

I've read that peach leaf curl can be controlled by shielding the tree from the rain between January and May, it seems a shame though to cover the pretty blossom with plastic.

Does anybody have any personal experience or advice with growing peaches? I'm looking to fan-train mine across a very sunny, slatted fence..

Many thanks,
    Sam

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I did try with a nectarine tree which eventually died. Peaches grow easily in the north of Italy where winter can be severe...I would guess therefore that Cornwall would be allright for a climate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
      +1,019
      We grow peaches here and like the north of Italy,we also have very cold winters. I would agree with miraflores, I would think in your area it would be possible.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +865
        I've never grown them, but my Grandfather had a fan-trained peach tree against the south-facing wall of his bungalow (he was in Sandgate, Kent). I've no idea what variety they were and I do remember him hand pollinating them with a watercolour brush. Might sound like a bit of a 'faff', but the peaches which grew to the size of small grapefruits, were absolutely delicious and the juice literally did run down/up your arm.

Considering the climate in Cornwall, I'd think it would be well worth giving them a go.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        in south africa , peaches grow all over the country .... if I compare climates, I would say that those that are grown in the cape (wet cold winters) should do fine in the UK ....

I am just guessing?

but here is a link with some varieties .... so a bit of research and am sure you will find one that is hardy for the UK ... bearing in mind, on the link, when they give the harvest times, it is for the southern hemisphere and not the UK (so, winter here is summer there)

Peaches | Fruit Producer & Exporter | South Africa

• Bimble

Bimble Gardener

Ratings:
        +34
        For what its worth, hand pollinating should be done with a rabbits tail traditionally. :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,931
        I've had peach trees for about 30yrs, I bought one in 1977 and have propagated it over the years, I dont have the original now.

Mine is Peregrine and is considered suitable for growing in England, there are a few others.
        The fruit have been ripening this last two weeks, free standing trees on the allotment.

A mate of mine grows an unknown variety and it is always ready a month before mine.

I must admit I dont give my trees the attention they need these days, they are quite big now and difficult to reach, and peach leaf curl is a real problem.

Until a couple of years ago I was going down the paint bush route in order to pollinate in early spring, then DaveW (I think) gave me a tip.
        You just spray the flowers on sunny days with water, it works and is much easier.

• Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,499
        I had a bumper crop of peaches this year! I grow Peregrine but I've heard that Avalon Pride also does very well in our climate. I just let my peach tree get on with it, I get peach leaf curl but this has never had any real effect on the trees productivity.

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +865
        You're right, but holding the rabbit still while you do it is a helluva palava :heehee:

• Like Like x 1