Pear tree advice please ?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Charlie996, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
    Ratings:
    +857
    Our pear tree which is a William that was planted last year is having its branches pulled down due to the weight of pears growing on it.

I have seen a pear tree over the road where this has happened and the branches are now permanently in an arced shape.

So is this how it should be or should the branches be supported in some way ?

Thanks .

2. Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
    Ratings:
    +857
    Can anyone help a poor lost soul who doesn't know what to do with his tree ? :smile:

3. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Sorry I can`t help, even had a google, hope someone can help you soon.:fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      If the branches look to be too weighed down to the point of snapping I'd prop them up with a piece of wood (bit like a clothes prop) until you come to pick them:blue thumb:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,319
      @Charlie996 sorry I haven't replied sooner. I don't get a lot of time to scan the boards for new posts that haven't been answered - too busy chatting on other threads :doh:.

We have the same problem with our pear trees every so often and this year is another one of them.

You can either prop up the branches, as Loli says, or you may need to thin out the fruit. Otherwise there's a danger of the branches breaking. If they only bend under the weight then they're likely to resume their original shape with just a slight bend in them. Having bending branches usually makes it easier to pick the pears but it's awkward deciding between just bending, and breaking - until it's too late.

Our branches are too high up for us to prop them up (the pear trees are 70 years old :old:).

So, prop the branches, if possible. If there are too many pears clumped together you may be better off thinning some out anyway. It's best to thin out using pruning scissors, secateurs or a sharp knife. If you try it by pulling you may find some of the neighbouring pears coming away as well. It's better if you remove any pears that have other pears cramming them from both sides. They can get damaged easily and their growth is restricted by the ones either side.

Williams are a peculiar pear as they go from not yet ripe to very ripe extremely quickly. It's best to pick them just before being fully ripe and leave them for a couple of days. You can experiment by picking one when it seems big enough.

Pears such as Conference don't have that problem and can ripen over a period of time and can stay on the tree for ages without going rotten or falling off.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,698
        I would prune out some fruit, this makes sense to me as it will reduce the weight and stress on the trees limbs and concentrate the plants growth into the remaining fruit to ensure ripening.

I would go over the tree removing all small or damaged fruit, leaving only the healthiest and most plump.

Unfortunately I am not in the same position as you Charlie, but if I was I would be looking to reduce the fruit on the tree probably by a third

As gardeners we already do similar things in the garden, for example Raspberries, we might have 10-12 stems start growing in the spring, but we reduce to 5 or 6 so it is more manageable both for the gardener and the plant itself.

Sometimes we have to be cruel to be kind and lose to gain.

Steve...:)

(Edit} I see Shiney has replied whilst I was multitasking (replying myself, making coffee and feeding our cats).

• Like Like x 2
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,319
          You seem to have left out feeding the Mrs as well :heehee: Give her our love :grphg: