1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pear tree pruning....suggestions please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Agent Orange, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Professional Amateur

Instrument Technician (retired)
    Ratings:
    +124
    I have no experience of fruit trees and the pruning of, so I am in need of directonal guidance for this here pictured pear tree I have inherited.

SAM_2043.JPG SAM_2044.JPG SAM_2046.JPG
    Its about 15ft tall. It had 6 pears on it till 3 dropped off in the wind last week. It leans terribly.
    And has .......

SAM_2049.JPG

Canker?

Should I prune the top to try to encourage more fruit next year? Or cut back to below the canker to leave the healthy lower shoot?

All advice gratefully received, before I go and do something drastic to it in november!

Dave

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Personally I would say it's not worth keeping. It hasn't been well looked after and the canker is either only going to spread, or you'll have to cut the tree back beneath it - which won't leave you with much left. If you want to keep the tree then cut it right back and see what happens. If you lose it then buy another one that you can maintain from scratch. Get a good fruit tree book as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    • Agent Orange

Agent Orange Professional Amateur

Instrument Technician (retired)
      Ratings:
      +124
      Tending to agree that its days are numbered. I think I will use it as a training peice that I will prune normally this winter to (try to) encourage more fruit and give me the nouse as to whats what.

Same goes for the 2 cookers and an eating apple tree and what I think is a wild plum. The cookers produced massively but lean terribly and the eater had 1 apple on it!

Big learning curve ahead!