Penstemon cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Aug 16, 2005.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    I was taking some Penstemon cuttings last night and I noticed that some stems taken very close to the crown had little white nodules growing between the nodes, perhaps an inch or two inches above the ground. I assume that these are tentative roots sites and consequently any cuttings using these are half-way home.

Is this so? And are these the best cutting pieces to take? And do such cuttings have a name? My book talks about stem cuttings and basal cuttings etc - but never says look out for these nodules. And does this occur with all plants?

I hope someone can help. thanks Peter.

2. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello they are aerial roots a lot of plants have them especially juniper but the best place to take cuttings is the top 2 to3 inch of non flowering new growth they are really easy to propagate plus you can take cuttings any time of year but they are best in autumn or spring good luck they are wonderful plants cut back old penstemons really hard in spring they flower and look much better for it :D :D

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Thanks Brazil. As my book said semi mature cuttings rather than tip cuttings I threw away the very tips! - that is why this forum with other people's experience is so useful.

I have one further problem. I love Penstemon. I have six different varieties and will take 6 or more cuttings from each as well as cuttings from other plants. What do I do with them then. I have run out of friends who need more plants, and I can not bear to throw them away. but perhaps we all have that problem. Peter.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    [​IMG] Hi PeterS,
    I'm sure if you posted in the exchanges section with your excess plants you would get a good responce as well as some new plants too..!! :D :D

[ 18. August 2005, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Hi Marley Farley.
    I have thought about that. Seeds are very easy to exchange by post. But my feeling is that plants are so cumbersome that it is not really worth it. Mind you I would be very willing to meet, exchange or give away plants to anyone in the N Yorks area. Peter.