1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Penstemon Heavenly Blue - Flowering Period

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I already have an ajuga sugar plum. Would this work as ground cover? The right up says shade and sheltered. My spot would be neither of those.

G.

2. Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
    +5,414
    @Verdun You're Jack Frost looks interesting too.

G.

3. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi Jack, Sugar Plum is an Ajuga Reptans cultivar so they prefer a North facing site but would cope with an East or West facing position.
    You have to remember that the original species are groundcover plants from woodland ateas so sun is a bit of a no-no really. Also , they like to be kept on the moist side if not damp.

4. Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
    +5,414
    Hi @KFF. At the moment it's on my rockery. I guess it's not going to be too happy there either. I want ground cover in front of my half barrel water feature and something tall of roughly the same colour behind it. I already have oranges and pinks. I need another colour to complement them.

G.

5. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Have you thought of any of the Campanulas , a wonderful range of plants in colours from white, pink, mauve, lilac, purple and all through the blue spectrum.
    Also how about Phlox, besides the tall herbaceous types there are also miniature ones that creep along the ground and provide excellent ground cover.

6. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    They complement each other by representing a palette of blue for a long period of time......lithodora here flowers in mid spring and early summer. They also flower sporadically later. They do overlap. For a border where blue is required for a good length of time lithodora and heavenly blue fit the bill very well......as I said not adjacent to each other but in the same border
    In the same way that blue anemone blanda provides blue in early spring and caryopteris in late summer a blue theme is maintained. Thus "complementing" one another.
    I have maintained a blue border in this way that includes blue aubretia in late winter, then blue anemone, anchusas, lithodora, linum perenne, verbena homestead purple, salvia cacalifolia, agastache blue boa, salvia guanajuato and salvia Blue note and caryopteris Sterling Silver. They dont have to flower at the same time ....nor would I desire that....to make a complementary blue border. "Blue" elymus magellanicus and tulbaghia with its pale blue colouring add to this theme. :)
    I have also suggested convolvulous maritima, a blue cascading plant, previously.
    I complement kniphophia Mango with caryopteris Summer Sorbet in late summer as well as aster frikartii monch. Earlier in the summer, because Mango flowers for so long, another blue in the form of geranium Black Beauty works well earlier in summer. In another area scabious Butterfly Blue complements Mango to one side and the pale salvia Cambridge to the other. They complement well I think.
    Gary seems to want orange and blue.....it is a delightful eye catcher here

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
      +5,414
      I like the looks of agastache. If I've got them the right way round, blue fortune is taller.

I should have been in bed hours ago. I had to wait for my computer to update before I could shut it down.

As I keep telling myself. I won't be buying anymore plants until spring. I will keeping looking at possible alternatives until the time comes to make a commitment.

I appreciate everybody that takes the time to help me along the way. :ThankYou:

:Wino:

G.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +957
        I agree with Verdun, it is much longer flowering and hardier than Electric Blue (which can be a little temperamental at times), however, on it's third flush or so Heavenly B seems to go much more purple than blue.

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Mark, do you find a true blue perennial penstemon hard to come by?

Over the years I have sought them out but they always disappoint. Had a beauty once, the name Eileen Grenfell rings a bell (?) and its first summer was as blue as meconopsis Baileyii but it lacked vigour and struggled following season. Electric, True, Heavenly, etc., do seem to become more purple. Sour Grapes is a beauty....is it also Stapleford Gem?.....that is often listed as blue but isn't. I think the blue gene in penstemons makes for weak plants :sad:

For blues I now turn to other plants .....
        Unless any forum member has a true blue penstemon!..:rasp:

• Like Like x 1
        • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +957
          Definitely, I do love the shade of Electric Blue but it only flowers June-July here and does not have the charm & bushy habit of other Penstemons. I agree, I find the most pleasant blues in Salvia at current. The scent & pest resistance of Lavender mid summer is unbeatable too, I'm growing a few called Ashdown Forest which is a lovely paler blue shade than say Hidcote.

• Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Have to agree about lavendar.....I always suggest it where appropriate.
          Have a 40 to 50' curving edge of Grosso (impressive flowers) to my veg patch....trimmed back tightly it now looks good but in summer it erupts into a frenzy of blue and wonderful scent.
          I intend to plant a row in a new build too :)
          Dont know Ashdown Forest....sounds nice :)

• Agree Agree x 1