Peony Bare Root

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by 24Jude, Jul 24, 2021.

1. 24Jude

24Jude Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi hoping you experienced gardeners can help.
    I love peonies and always try and buy some when theyre in season. I thought I would try and grow them and bought some bare roots, they arrived today, no planting or care instructions.
    So Im stuck straight away.
    Ive read that they shouldnt be planted very deep and not close to others, also that the roots should be left in water for a few hours so they are properly hydrated.
    I was hoping to put them in a large round pot, but Ive got 9 roots and they are quite big. I need to know if I can plant them now or have I been sold something that isnt very good.
    Any advice would be great, thanks.

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,541
    Plant them now as they take a couple of years to settle and you're right, don't plant them too deep as it makes them 'blind' which means no flowers. If the weather stays dry, water them regularly

• Agree Agree x 1
    • 24Jude

24Jude Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for your reply, whats the best to plant them in as I dont have a garden as such, planters & pots. Do they need to be left soaked in water for a few hours?