1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Peony 'Festiva Maxima' collapsed under the weight of the blooms

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Kevin Cowans, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello all

My Peony 'Festiva Maxima' has collapsed under the weight of its blooms, would it be alright to cut it back so that I can put a Peony Support in place or would cutting it back now cause issues?

I meant to put a support in place in Spring before the growth started but with one thing and another it got forgot about :wallbanging:

I have tried tying it up with twine but it is not something I can do by myself and there is no one else I can call on.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Same problem here, different peony though. Those blooms are so heavy they bend to the ground, especially when it's raining.
    One idea that's spinning through my head would be to use an old (children's) bicycle rim, set it up on a pike at around 20-30 cm above ground and let the peony grow through it in spring. The rim should disappear within the plant mass, but maybe those extra 30cm of support are enough to stabilize the plant.

There are also green plastic "wagonwheel-type" climbing aids for runner beans and peas. Those might work as well. Or maybe a small rose obelisk?

3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    Hello Kevin, if you Google 'half hoop plant supports', you'll find what you need. I've used these for many years to support peonies while they're in flower and they work very well. Some are a more discreet dark green than others :) If there are more buds to open, it would be worth dead-heading the collapsed blooms to reduce the weight, then put the supports in place ready for the next blooms to open.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  4. Black Dog

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    @noisette47
    Cutting off the leftovers after they are done blooming doesn't really help. They even tend to go back upright after finishing their bloom because the loss of petals reduces the weight dramatically. It is them that make them tip over, especially when they are filled with water.

5. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello @noisette47

Thanks for the reply.

I looked up the 'Half Hoop Plant Supports' as you suggested, unfortunately, I do not think they would work in my situation as they would only support the blooms at the very top of the plant.

The supports I am looking at are:

[​IMG]

As you can see, these would support the blooms throughout the height of the plant.

The only issue I have is retrofitting it over the plant now hence my question as to whether I can cut back the Peony to enable me to place the support without harming the plant.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

6. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    hi just cut off the blooms , it wont regrow, peonies have done all the growing they do already as if you cut too much off it will effect flowering next year ... just put it down to "lesson learnt " we have all done it !!

Spruce

7. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello @Spruce

Thanks for the reply.

I will not prune too much off, just remove the damaged blooms.

So I guess I will have to wait until next Spring to place the Support in place before the new growth starts.

Thanks

Kevin

• Agree Agree x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,311
      Hi Kevin, oooo that's posh! :biggrin: As Spruce says, if you cut the peony down now, that'll be it for the year, so best to position the support and tease the stems and foliage through. That way, any blooms to come will be supported and you'll get the benefit of lovely autumn colour. And you'll know to place the support in good time next year, when the foliage is about 6" high.

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
      +1,064
      Hello @noisette47

Unfortunately, two stems were snapped low down so I had to cut them off.

I also removed the blooms that were looking disheveled.

I will hopefully get the Peony Support ordered and try to place it carefully.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
      • Black Dog

It's a secret
        Ratings:
        +1,136
        Finally I had the time to upload a photo of my peony hanging around quite sadly. IMG_20210619_081353.jpg

• Like Like x 1