1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Peony

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by T, Aug 4, 2005.

1. T

T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a peony in the garden for about 5 years and it has only ever had a couple of flowers, and is very spindly can it be cut back to thicken it up or will that kill it.I don't know a great deal on gardening

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi T
    Most peaonies, which are not flowering well are buried too deep, this tends to happen when we mulch the soil regularly, or if they were planted too deep initially. Contrary to popular belief, they are no more fussy about being moved than most plants (i.e. they will sulk, but will recover). Also you need to feed it with a high potasssium feed after flowering to "beef up" the plants food reserves for flowering next year. I would feed once a week now with liquid seaweed, then dig up in autumn & transplant with its root ball just below the surface of the soil. Also if it is spindly - is it in a shady spot - it sounds as if it is struggling to get some light. Try a sunnier position, and a moist, fertile soil. They do sometimes take a while to get going too, so may not flower after being moved (sulking!) but if you give it some tlc & the growing conditions it likes, it will give it a chance to build up & get going. Good luck!

[ 04. August 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]

3. T

T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for that, I will certainly try your suggestions, I am just starting a new bed in the garden so I can prepare that as it will be a sunnier spot for it.