1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Peppers and chillies - feeding and pinching out?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ChilliPepper, Jun 9, 2016.

1. ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I've got a mix of peppers and chilli peppers in my greenhouse and know that I need to do something with them!

Some books say to feed (potash) when they reach 8" in height, some say to do this when the first fruit sets. There is also advice to pinch out the tops but then the dire warning that yields may be less.

Any advice on how to get the best out of my peppers would be great!

2. The Early Bushman

The Early Bushman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm not the most experienced on the forum in chili growing, but this year I have grown 2 chili plants. As an experiment of my own i have left one of my plants to grow as it pleases without pinching out the growing tips. I started feeding the plants a tomato fertilizer when i seen the flowers starting to grow and now one plant (the one i did not pinch out) has got a couple of chilies and more flowers appearing on it. On my other plant i pinched out the growing tip but i did this quite late on so it has only one flower and alot of side shoots growing out the plant is quiet bushy but i would say this plant will produce alot more chilies than the one i have left alone. As for feeding some forums say use half of the manufactures recommended measurement I dont know why though, I have just used the recommended dose for mines and they seem to be doing fine. This is only my experience i hope it has been of some help to you

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    If the Chilli is branching OK then no need to pinch . I think it's getting a little late for pinching now anyway. For feeding I use tomato feed , cheapest will do , from the end of June . About once a week or when I remember .