1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Perennial summer ground cover!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sheppy, Apr 22, 2006.

1. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know I may be asking a lot, but I'm looking for something along the lines of aubretia, or campanula - but summer flowering. Not 100% but think the above are spring flowering? I can oly think of perenial geranium, but they grew quite large and bushy in my old garden, and looked unsightly once flowering had finished. Just need something to fill in between my little shrubs (hebes mainly).
    p.s. Am I right in thinking that aquilegia is spring flowering too. A bit taller than I'd like but such a lovely looking plant.
    Thank you GC Experts!!

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Infilling small plants - consider dwarf asters, persicaria, sedums and ceraostima plumbiginoides. All but persicaria I grow, and do well in the summer. Then there's pot marigold

Yes aquilegia are spring flowers -

3. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you - I know asters,marigold and sedums but need to look up the others. Thanks for your help!

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Have a look at the RHS plant selector, Sheppy - if you fill in the details of your soil, and south facing, etc, it'll give you some suggestions. I think some of the alpines would suit what you want.
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/default.aspx
    You could always try things like lamium, vinca and some of the herbs, like mint - but be warned, they're thugs!! They'll take over if you don't keep them seriously in check! Glad you got the e-mail ok. ;)

5. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My word, what a wonderful link! I'll look up lamium and vinca. And yes, I've had mint before, but I grew wise to that one, and kept him in pot! That was one thug who was going nowhere! (couldn't help touching a leaf for a smell everytime I passed!) I was thinking hypercium, I had it in my last garden, but seem to recall I had problems with wandering roots. I'm getting there though, finally got a list of 'possibles'! Thanks!!

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Be careful with vinca sheppy. My neighbours planted it to save gardening their front garden. Though their front garden is no more, I still suffer with their vinca. :(

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If you look in the Members Gallery under "love your greens" (sorry not clever enough to give you a link) the first picture is of a very pretty geranium with purple flower and does not grow more than a couple of inches. there are loads of low growing geraniums which make fantastic infils. Push me and I will send you a root if you like it. Natter dendrobium and she will probably give you a name for it (I am not clever enough to do that either!)

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I agree Waco, the low growing soft leaved geraniums come in loads of colours, are very easy to grow, and spread fast. If they like your conditions you might get too many, they self seed as well.

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    No, I don't know that one, Waco! But I love the johnson's blue - a lovely colour!!

10. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dendy, Mrs DAG said [​IMG] about the Johnson's Blue! ;)

11. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry Mrs Dag - just can't agree, but will agree to differ. I have a lovely magenta one with a black eye, the leaves turn a wonderful shade of red after it has flowered again and again all summer.

12. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds interesting, what's that one called then Waco?

BTW, agreeing with Mrs DAG is not an option! :D :D :D

13. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    So is that "agree with Mrs DAG" anything for a quiet life ;) sorry.

Now DAG you should know me by now I am hopeless at names, but will post picture when it looks good enough. AND by the way your white geranium looks lovely on the photo competition. Must have one!

14. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, think you're right. Geraniums certainly meet all my criteria, I didn't realise there were so many types. Thank goodness we have another bank holiday coming up - a day at the garden centre and a day planting!! I'm hoping it's not to early to put them in the ground?

15. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No Waco, Mrs DAG is a little angel in real life!
    At least that's what she keeps telling me! :D :D

:D By 'white geranium' do you mean Pelargonium Copthorne? :D :D :D

What was that you said about names? ;)