1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Perovskia 'Blue Spire', how many should I plant here?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Nikolaos, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,289
    I put these 'borders' in my patio a few years ago. I have repeatedly tried combining different plants in them but the effect is just too 'bitty'. So now what I want to do is block plant in them going for a sort of miniature 'drift' effect, like I currently have with my Sedum spectabile. This one that the perovskia is in is 53 inches by 17 inches and they are all about a foot deep. I think I need to consider them more as large containers rather than little borders. So for a similar effect, should I just use two or pack three of these perovskias in there? I need to achieve the effect of 'fullness' without the plants becoming congested and struggling. :smile:

Thanks,

Nick

DSCN0857[1].JPG DSCN0860[1].JPG

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    I once made a “colony” of perovskias in my auntie’s garden a few years back. She wanted an immediate effect so bought several plants.

For me, I would remove the geranium and plant 3 perovskias there. Don’t enrich the soil. ...it only accomplishes soft growth and less flowers....so I would also mulch with gravel there. Also makes for a nice tactile aromatic plant :)

You can still take cuttings ....half mpc and half perlite.....for extra fill in plants next year

Yep, perovskia and sedum make excellent companions

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      I was thinking three - ie another one each side of your current persovskia, with the geranium moving to make way.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Great minds Sian....:)

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,289
          Thanks Verdun and Sian! :smile: Seems I didn't make myself clear, both the geraniums will be coming out and going in the ground, I just wanted to know how many perovskias would be required to fill the space for a similar 'drift' effect to the sedum! The 'Johnson's Blue' is healthy and has been cut down to ground level to re-flower but 'Crystal Lake' on the left is seriously struggling, despite looking healthy when I first planted it. However, I think I have managed to diagnose the problem using one of my books: it needs to be kept cool and moist at the roots, and the lack of moisture retaining soil, recent scorching hot sun and lack of adequate watering have caused it to rapidly deteriorate! I'm a bit disappointed with the perovskia because I repeatedly read online that it was loved by butterflies, but at least the bees really like it. :) Does anyone know about how low perovskias should be pruned? I read 9 inches above ground for sturdy growth but as always lots of different recommendations online!

Right, off to the garden centre this afternoon to get another two! :smile:

Nick

• Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          It’s about patience Nick :)

First year, right? Next year it should flower profusely and then the bees will come

Pruning is simple.......I prune in autumn but best pruned in spring to a few buds off the ground, I.e. a few cm’s :) You don’t have to prune but otherwise it gets leggy and flops:)

Talking of bees......they’re swarming over most everything here but heleniums and persicarias esp:)

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,289
            Oh dear, as you know I lack any trace of it! :roflol:

Thanks for the pruning advice! No, quite a few bees on the perovskia already which is surprising as not many flowers open, but no butterflies on it at all and it says on a couple of websites that they're butterfly-friendly! I wonder if my buddleias are diverting them there instead? :noidea:

About 50 bees just on my sedum here, lots on the buddleias too!

Nick

• Like Like x 1