1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

persistant bramble

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Daisies, May 28, 2005.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I have a sprout of a bramble whose main plant is in a neighbour's garden. I've tried Roundup, flame, continuous cutting back but it still comes back and takes over a corner I want to eventually use for espallier apple trees.
    Can anyone suggest any solutions.
    PS the neighbour is elderly and disabled and not very approachable!

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think brushwood killer is still avaiable...not sure of the brand nowadays but used to be TBK brushwood killer or something like that...recommended for brambles

Can't you just snip them off at the point of entry?

3. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is a product called Garlon T - I think you'd have to go to an agricultural supplier to get it, bt it would do the job.

There's another one which I'll think of when I wake up ;)

4. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The active ingredient is triclopyr. Still dont think it will get rid of your problem unless you can sort out the neighbouring bit too. would your neighbour let you do there bit for them. If you must spray the most effective thing to do would be to cut back as far as possible and either spray the re-growth or treat the stumps. As usual, if you decide that chemicals are your only option, id advise you to hire in the professionals rather than using chemicals yourself. They have all the right safety equipment and decent storage for nasty chemicals as well as having done a three day training course. Results are likely to be better and it should be safer to all concerned.

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How about a barrier in the soil? something like bamboo guard, with a little left protruding. Agree with Cloudy - go to the source & offer to take it back a bit, cause if you don't, even with all the chemicals in the world it will come back :rolleyes:

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Thanks, everyone. The suggestions are much appreciated
    As I said, neighbour is not very approachable so getting into her garden is not an option.
    It's actually quite a substantial 'sprout'. I've been cutting it off for five years, it just seems to come back more vigorously!

[ May 28, 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

7. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    if it were me i would wait until the neighbour is either out or asleep and then sneak into her garden and dig it up
    just call me a rebel!

8. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    LYNNE!!!

YOU REBEL YOU :D

9. Tishame

Tishame Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mmm been there, done that, prob do it again :eek: In my defence I did wait until the house in question (not privately owned) was empty. I rid myself of something that was very likely to become a nuisance in the years to come !

10. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah so that's how to get rid of unco-operative neighbours then ;)