pest plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by revin helen, Mar 13, 2005.

1. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Is it just me or do other gardeners want to scream a very loud nooooooooo! at the TV when a presenter sugests planting alcamilla mollis or ajuga reptants etc.Don't they know we want more than one species in our garden and we don't want to spend the rest of our lives pluuing the stuff out?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,381
    I dont watch TV gardeners any more, used to but they all seem to quote the same old things over and over again, right or wrong.
    Then they tell you, you cant plant that red flower next to a blue one. They're not gardeners they're artists. :cool:

3. foxtrot

foxtrot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I had your problem Revin with Alchemilla. I love the plant as it's great to cut for the house, but mine always struggle. Maybe its because I'm on sand. The plant I do have problems with is Michelmas daisy. A real love hate relationship there!

4. foxtrot

foxtrot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I had your problem Revin with Alchemilla. I love the plant as it's great to cut for the house, but mine always struggle. Maybe its because I'm on sand. The plant I do have problems with is Michelmas daisy. A real love hate relationship there!

5. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Well I never! I'm on clay and it gets completely out of hand but I do have a lot of trouble with the daisy family neither Shasta daisies nor purple cone flower will last more than a couple of years if that and I given up on them as I feel guilty about murdering the poor things.

6. Penlan Perennials

Penlan Perennials Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its what we do with the plants not the other way round. Alchemilla mollis is a woodlander and behaves in a respectable manner when placed there. It doesn't seed madly or flop in dry weather in woodland. Its only when the garden prettyfiers (sorry TV designers) and garden writers (who it seems largely copy what is already written rather than actually grow the plants)get going that its is planted in all the wrong places and in struggling to survive seeds everywhere!!!

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,381
    Thanks Penlan you said what I was trying to say, the bit about TV. gardeners/ designers that is.

8. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Penlan thanks, from me too. Alchemilla mollis (Dewcup)is a wonderful useful herb for the expectant Mothers and older Mums,the list is endless. TV programs ??? They make me sick job for the very not so experienced gardener, all for money. I have been in growing all my life, could answer most questions on radio programs too, without flicking through gardening book for answers.