1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pests? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Markymark, May 12, 2019.

1. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    last year, my garden was ravaged by something. Most of my plants had deformed leaves or nibbled leaves and I think it might have been whitefly. This year, I have stripped everything back and am starting again. I’ve noticed that my sunflower plants are already showing signs of something ‘weird’ on their leaves. It looks like something is making very tiny marks on the underside of the leaves. I noticed last night, and this morning that there are small fly-like insects on the leaves. I’ve counted about 7 or 8 in total. Does anyone recognise them? I got as close as I could. Thanks

1B3D7CA9-B777-490B-B204-0EC3D8020EAF.jpeg 14342EC6-54D2-42E0-AEBB-362BC9B2FA1C.jpeg

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,292
    That looks like an aphid (greenfly). A bad infestation will result in deformed leaves, but big holes in the middle or round the edge of a leaf is usually caterpillar damage

3. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    They are definitely not greenflies... I'll try and get a better picture... :-) thanks for the suggestion.

4. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,373
  5. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Greenfly are just one name to may types of Aphids and if it is an Aphid the usual tell tale sign that they are on your plants is that their white Casts are showing up as little white things on the top of the pots dark compost.

This link has a pic of their casts, if you can see them on your pots compost then its one of them.
    Aphids / RHS Gardening

Either way, if you have a bug infestation you need to start a treatment and think I would choose a systemic type to prevent future outbreaks, though check the label as you cannot use on some small plants/veg/seedlings, in which case use one based on fatty acids or use you own soap spray etc.

• Agree Agree x 1