1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

petunia seeds looking moldy

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by noksucow, Apr 18, 2012.

1. noksucow

noksucow Gardener

wood machinest
    Ratings:
    +14
    once again its me .

ok i sowed some petunia seeds in some seedling compost and put thm on the window cill in a propogater i have checked thm today but the look like they are grwoing mould , is this normal or is there bad bacteria in the compost>?

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Hello Nok...
    petunia seeds should only be sown on the surface off slightly damp very good quality seed compost. A little misting every couple of days helps as well . After all this they can still be a pain in the backside to germinate and grow on :gaah: In your case a misting with a copper based fungicide may help , otherwise just ventilate the prop every day - they should germinate in 5 to 12 days - good luck :blue thumb:

3. noksucow

noksucow Gardener

wood machinest
    Ratings:
    +14
    Would u say it's mould or is it a actual seed. Going into germination ,???? Will they be ok ??? By the way this is my very 1st time I have ever grown from seeds infant it's my 1st at growing anything

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    If it is mould I would say there's to much humidity. I would either take the lid off the propogator or take them off the windowsill. As Harry says you only want the soil damp not wet.

As soon as the seedlings show remove the lid to give them as much light as possible. It will also stop them from growing too spindley. :)

5. noksucow

noksucow Gardener

wood machinest
    Ratings:
    +14
    ok cheers guys , that answers a problem i had before about leggy .........i have noticed that the lip doesnt hold a complete air tight seal so there is air getting to thm would it or could it still be too hot for them

6. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Nok... the lid soes not have to be airtight . We are growing seeds , its not a scientific experiment :snork: . Just keep your prop in a warm light place but out of direct sunlight if you can . Lift the lid every day or so and give them a bit of fresh air.

7. noksucow

noksucow Gardener

wood machinest
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for input guys, am sorry i seem a bit dumb towards growing things but this is my 1st year so I will be asking more and more questions .

8. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    We all have to start somewhere, so you're not dumb! But you will/we will learn something new every day. Gardeners are learning all the time, even the experts. :)