1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ph levels after soil testing

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by conks, Apr 30, 2006.

1. conks

conks Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a complete novice so bare with me.

I've done a soil test using a testing kit.

Dug 4" down and selected the soil. (top soil)- below this the sub soil is clay based.

The test is a kind of pale yellow colour. If anything resembles say 6.0 (acid) on the colour chart.

So, I'm currently growing from seed in a propogator;

FOXGLOVES
    FORGET ME NOT
    HELIOTROPE
    LYCHNIS

Once established and hardened etc - what do I need to do to the garden soil to ensure that these all grow OK once in the ground ?

Will they be OK in Ph 6.0 or must I add lime etc. ?

Thanks

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Stuff you are growing will be Ok in any soil and you should now be able to plant straight into the ground (seeds that is not seedlings).
    Just keep them well weeded/watered.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    A figure of 6.5 is generally quoted as the best pH for soil, simple because most plants are happy there. I do not think that you have any probem at 6. Even if your pH was further from the optimum I would still not do anything. It is easier to select the plants to suit the soil rather than change the soil.

Heliotrope is very sensitive and likes a pH of about 7.5, and is likely to be your biggest test - but try it. Many plants don't read books and consequently thrive in circumstances outside their optimum. If it doesn't like it cross it off your list and try another. Have a look here for more info :-

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/fred.moor/soil/ph/p010602.htm