1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Phalaenopsis - All roots - No flowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bronwen, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have two phalaenopsis orchids which both flowered about two years ago.

After the stems went brown, I cut them off at the bottom above the leaves.

I am getting big new leaves on bothand on one the new roots are quite a short length and now this is growing a flower stem, but the other, larger one, is growing a large number of very long roots, but is not showing any signs of growing a flower stem.

They have both been treated the same, with orchid food and light spraying. They are sitting on trays of large gravel which is kept damp, and are in dappled light.

I also have a Stephanotis with the same non-flowering problem.

Any ideas please.

2. kapper5502

kapper5502 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +30

Hi Bronwen, my Phalaenopsis are on the bathroom windowsill, facing east, behind diffused glass. I soak them far about an hour, once a week, and let them drain well. I don't keep mine on gravel trays - just a drip tray. Mine seem to come into flower twice a year. I do NOT know if l am doing right or wrong, but they seem to be doing O.K. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Josie

3. Bluedun

Bluedun Gardener

Layabout
    Ratings:
    +37
    I don't seem to have much trouble with mine flowering for about 10 months of the year.

I do seem to neglect them only watering when I remember sometimes once a month, but water through the pot any surplus runs into the gravel tray. Feed about once or twice a year.

They are on a West facing window sill behind net curtains.

Trevor

4. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Trever I have just posted a [photo of my 2nd rebloom on another of my orchids today .

Scotkat