1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Phalaenopsis orchid with new shoots - some questions

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by TheMadHedger, May 12, 2017.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Last year I bought a Phalaenopsis orchid with two flower spikes - when it had finished flowering one of the spikes died off but the other looked healthy enough. I then didn't water it for at least a couple of months.

The remaining spike is just starting to put out two new shoots (one about half way up, one nearer the top) - I've now started watering it more regularly (not drowning it though of course).

Is there anything else that I should do?

Does it need any kid of feed?

Also, are the new shoots likely to eventually put out any flowers?

Thanks.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,893
    If the new shoots are from an old flower stem then yes they will probably form more flower buds.

An old plant can sometimes grow a plantlet or two on an old flower spike that is usually after a number of years.

Not sure why you stopped watering it for two months?
    Unless it was in cold conditions?

A very weak liquid feed like tom food now and then is good but they are not fussy, overwatering and strong hot sun are to be avoided.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Yes, the shoots are on an old flower stem.

I stopped watering it for two months as I simply forgot about it (once the flowers had gone over I moved it you see).

Many thanks for the advice.