Pheasants

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by shiney, Jul 16, 2006.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,302
    This pair of pheasants have been in our garden since the winter. They come in about five times a day and scavenge the seeds that the birds drop from the bird feeder.

Not a very sharp picture as it was taken on the digital zoom.

[​IMG]

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    How lovely- I take it you have no cats. It would be great if they raised some chicks [​IMG]

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    very nice it must be great to look out and see those pair of pheasants from your own garden as i have to drive out into the country to see anything like that

4. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,302
    Thanks Liz and Rosa

We have become quite attached to them. We don't have cats but there are three cats that own our garden and patrol regularly. The pheasants never seem to be the least bit bothered about them and the male just stands upright and out-stares them.

The oldest of the three cats has been around for almost 15 years and we keep an empty space in our heated propagator for him. He spends a lot of the day sleeping in the propagator - all year round - and comes out for a stretch and to patrol. I don't know where he lives but is well fed, friendly and doesn't seem very interested in food that we have offered in the past. Some years ago he was not around for quite a while and then he was back with a section of fur shaved away from his hip. He had obviously had an operation so he must own a human.

In the past the pheasants have laid eggs in our garden but they seem to have aboandoned them.

Early in the year there were two males and seven females around but just the pair are left.

A not very good picture of some of the females
    [​IMG]

--------
    shiney

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,906
    How lovely to have the pheasants in your garden! You often hear stories where cats have two homes ... yours obviously does! [​IMG]

Like the tree sculpture, too!

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Yes, so do I! Did you do it? We get pheasants in the garden in winter, but they rarely come otherwise. That cat sounds sounds just like my old lady, she's 20- eats, sleeps, potters about,eats, sleeps....
    [​IMG] Just like me I suppose.

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,906
    Yes, I was going to ask Smiley if he made it but posted and then realised I hadn't asked ... so we await your answer, Smiley! [​IMG]

Twenty is a good age. I have a friend who lost hers last year aged 21 and an ex-colleague whose cat was 22 last I heard. The one that wins though is our friend in America ... he lost his at age 25 and I can remember when he got her! [​IMG]

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,302
    Thanks everyone.

LOL, you certainly made me smile calling me smiley - its shiney, but I think I like smiley better!

Our nephew did the sculpture when he was at art college but went on to working in metal. He's in his forties now and teaching at an art college.
    -------------
    shiney

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,906
    Why did I call you Smiley? [​IMG] Maybe it was because I thought your nephew's sculpture was a wee bit erotic looking? :D :D