1. Forum News
    A NEW PHOTO COMP WILL BE STARTING THIS MONTH more information in Photo Competitions Photo Competitions Are Changing!
    Please Support The Road Verge Campaign!
    Dismiss Notice

Philadelphus "starbright"

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Snorky85, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant on a career break
    Ratings:
    +5,678
    Just came back from a snout around several nurseries. Popped into Tring Wyvale on the way home and ended up buying a few bargains. Amongst the bargains I got a £32 philadelphus starbright reduced to £9.60.

Now, it does look a bit sorry for itself but I thought I could give it a good watering and feed with liquid seaweed and prune back the few really long stems then plant it out in the border. Hopefully next year it'll grow back a bit bushier.

OR? Water and feed and not bother pruning now as it's late in the season.

OR....as I am moving eventually (hopefully), just pot it up into a bigger pot with some decent compost and leave it over winter (after giving it a feed).

Any advice?

Also - has it got some sort of disease on the leaves or will that just go when the leaves drop for winter?

Thank you!

2. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,678
  3. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,091
    Oh' Snorky. You tease. Seriously you have bought this plant.. Please endulge with me. Ex. Cop. Detection and now. Plant pathologist. That's strange as both paths equal investigative.

What enduced you to buy? Orignal price. Too much. Now to your plant. It looks sorry for itself. The plant exhibits many disorders. Most of which will pass during dormancy.

When on a cheapy shoppy. Hold the plant upside down and tap it out. Here lies the problem. The plant is pot bound. Friends I am sorry but my eyesight is failing. Sorry.

4. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,678
    I’m sure it’ll recover Mike. I like the challenge of restoring it. Its been planted up-old old stalks removed and the newer shoots remain. Fresh compost and super duper seaweed feed will sort it. I’ll make sure i clear those leaves away when they drop soon.

Let’s see what happens....

• Like Like x 1