1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Phormium advice

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Sogni verdi, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Sogni verdi

Sogni verdi Gardener

Delivery driver
    Ratings:
    +104
    I am looking for advice on Phormium plants. I am looking to buy 2 of these which will flank the entrance to a tropical (eventually) walkway.
    Our site is exposed to frequent winds, however both Phormiums will have a screen offering some protection. Ideally i want something which will reach a height around 1.8 - 2m (the main body of the plant), I don't mind flower panicles which exceed that height by some distance.
    Eventual width around 1.5m would be ideal. H4 would be hardiness level.

The trouble i have from checking various sites (including RHS) is differing max heights. The plant i am particularly keen on is "Phormiun Tenax Variegata". I looked at the Tenax Green and Purpureum and decided these would grow much larger than desired. Sundowner too seems to be highly recommended but appears to be H3 rated, keeping in mind i live in South Norfolk and therefore subject to occasional harsh easterly winds.
    The only other one was Pink Stripe which might fit the bill.
    Any thoughts/suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    The tenax types are typically 6-7ft after becoming established, the cookianum types are normally up to 4ft. My purpureum has been in ten years and only now has reached it's max height. It's becoming a bit of a thug with spreading out though.
    A decent pair of scissors is recommended for removing leaf blades

• Like Like x 1
    • Sogni verdi

Sogni verdi Gardener

Delivery driver
      Ratings:
      +104
      Thank you. Sounds like the Tenax Variegata might be the one for me. Just didn't want something which was going to struggle to hit 1.5m eventually.

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,685
      Just need to add two points. Variegated plants tend to be smaller than the species and on the way to the business park where I work, I noticed a bog standard p.tenax which is probably over ten feet high!
      So site and soil conditions will play a role

• Like Like x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,364
        I've grown P.tenax Sundowner for about 40 years, both in UK and here. It's a lovely, trouble-free plant. Wind and frost resistant. Seems to flower better when it's stressed by drought. A mature clump does get big, but can be kept in check by chopping round it with a sharp spade or kitchen knife. It's only drawback is that snails love to hide at the bottom of the clump, so if you plant vulnerable plants nearby, best to evict the slimy ones!

• Like Like x 1
        • Sogni verdi

Sogni verdi Gardener

Delivery driver
          Ratings:
          +104
          What sort of height do they tend to reach? I appreciate soil and location are factors to consider!

• Sogni verdi

Sogni verdi Gardener

Delivery driver
          Ratings:
          +104
          I went with the Phormium Tenax Variegata in the end. Bought 2 of them and have to say i am delighted with them.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +14,364
            Oops! Sorry I've only just seen your previous post, SV! I wonder if what you've bought is also known as 'Yellow Wave'? Another excellent Phormium. Gets to about 6'/1.8m. Looking forward to further pics when they're established :)

• Like Like x 1