1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Phormium and cordyline Torbay Dazzler

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sal73, Apr 20, 2012.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    6 years ago i had 6 phormium and 3 cordyline torbay dazzler , 3 years late I`ve seen my first flower on the flax , same story with the torbay dazzler ,bough them really small and they reached about 3 feet in 3/4 years untill the first cold winter came along and finally the 2010/11 winter kill them all.
    I`ve seen lots of new variety around at a good price , but not sure if I would love to give another try ......as anyone still got them in the garden?
    is there a particular variety harder then other ?

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Hi
    Basicaly the green ones are the hardiest and the deep purple I would say are a close 2nd , dont let the winters put you off none of us would grow anything in the long run as you already know they are very quick to grow and cheap to buy when small.

I have only seen a few growing in gardens over the past year but very protected by buildings and just lucky to be alive

Spruce ps used to have a 10 foot one !!!!

3. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    the point is , like the normal cordyline the dazzle have reshoot from the base , but even in the greenhouse it seams that the plants would not survive more then -5 ....the phormium have just died and never come back .
    I`ve only seen a big dazzle ones and it was in London near a busy road , it looked stunning .

4. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Snap sal73 , I lost my Torbay Dazzler and container phormiums in the 2010-11 winter. I always thought phormiums were super hardy ? As spruce said the green cordylines are reputedly hardier , but I have lost one of them as well ! I leave cordyline alone now , but bought a phormium Jester last year. Its looking pretty good this year and is nearly filling the container.

5. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I bough a phormium tenax variegatum
    [​IMG]
    wich apparently the tenax is the only one who survived around my area , but sure not the variegatum form , what i would love to know is : has anyone got a cordyline/phormium who survived 2010/11 winter that is not the green cordyline ?
    I bough a 4 feet cordyline last year and at the moment look really scraffy after the February cold .