Phormium help please- I'm not sure if I like them but think I need one.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Selleri, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,559
    I have a group of large (50cm) containers on the gravelly bit in front of the house. Now the problem pot has a Lavatera, which is great, but grows every summer so tall that it gets knocked over whenever there is the slightest wind.

The spot is very sunny and unsheltered from the winds. Other containers have Rosa Rugosas with lavender, they all have decided to abandon hope of vertical growth and go horizontal instead.

After some googling, I think Phormium is the answer for my search of year-round interest, strong shape, draught tolerance and not flying around in gales.

Please can you recommend a good variety, about 1m tall max? Can I buy one now, or should I wait until spring?

Or is there a better plant for these conditions? (Our office park gardener loves his Phormiums so I'm a bit tired of them [​IMG] )

2. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,585
    They won't grow as big in a pot as out in the garden so that'll suit you.

Buy a "Cookiam" version such as Yellow Wave instead of the "Tenax" variety. (Cookium varieties have bendy over leaves; Tenax varieties have pointy up leaves)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1