1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

PHOTINIA fraseri RED ROBINS

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ray.finch, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ray.finch

ray.finch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have planted a total of 36 4' to 5' PHOTINIA fraseri RED ROBINS to form a hedge and was wondering if anybody could advise me as to feeding them to help them grow a little faster as I need them to be around 6' to 7' and bushy as soon as possible
    Many Thanks
    Ray

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,054
    Assuming you have just planted these, then I think the main thing in their first and second years is to make sure you give them plenty of water. They need to establish themselves before they will grow that much.

Over feeding them would be bad to start with, did you use any fertilizer/compost when you planted them?

John

3. ray.finch

ray.finch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John
    I planted them with organic compost but i did'nt know if there was a liquid food I could give them
    Many Thanks

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,054
    Ray, you could give them a foliar feed every couple of weeks, something like one of the seaweed extract products. Don't over do the feeding, and also keep it well weeded, new hedges don't like too much competition.
    John

5. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You will need to keep trimming it back to give you the new leaves that are red and to allow the bush to thicken up or it will become very leggy.
    Not sure when is the best time to do this but i tend to tidy my Red Robin bushes when they start to get out of shape which is quite often as they do grow fast at this time of year.