1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Photinia (Red Robin) hedge problem - insects

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by nitin, Jun 13, 2014.

1. nitin

nitin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

We planted a few Photinia Fraseri (Red Robin) plants in February this year on the border of our front garden to build a hedge. The plants seem to be doing well - lots of new shoots and red leaves. I pruned it once couple of weeks ago.

Over the last month, I have noticed little insects sticking to the new shoots and leaves. These look like big black ants. In addition, there are little green larva kind of insects giving them company. Many of the leaves appear to be eaten by insects, and some of the new leaves seem to be drying up. I have included couple of pictures of these.

Please help!

Attached Files:

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,709
    Aphids on the new growth being farmed for honeydew by the ants. Probably vine weevils or caterpillars eating the leaves.
    Nothing to get too frought over as other bugs will come and eat them soon enough, or you can squirt with insecticide or dilute soap.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • nitin

nitin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you very much Loofah. Sound advice - I will leave it as it is for the time being, and if things haven't improved will consider insecticide.