1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Photinia Trees really struggling

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Bill Carr, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Bill Carr

Bill Carr Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello Newby here but desperate.

Just over 6 years ago we planted 5 photinia trees alongside a fence to form a bit of a screen. They were about 9ft when planted and were £275 each.

All fine until just after last winter where one of them showed new shoots in the spring but then just died.
    It was a very cold winter so I put it down to that and bad luck.

It would now appear that this year another 2 are going to give up the ghost and are looking very unwell. These 2 did flower earlier this year along with the other 2.
    The leaves don’t really have spots on (I’ve tried to research as much as possible about unhappy Photinias)

Thank You

Attached Files:

2. Bill Carr

Ratings:
    +0
    Further info..
    The footballs were put in quite big holes, and should this be the issue I would expect it to have caused problems prior to 5 years in.

If food/nutrients were an issue I would expect the middle ones to suffer more.
    My thought was are they exposed, which would account for last year with may be the could weather and wind, but we haven’t had a harsh winter at all this year. I am located in South Manchester so nowhere extreme.
    The soil is not clay heavy either. Fine for 5 years then not well

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Not sure this is much help but I have a few well established large shrub type plants that have not started to make any growth this year.
    Even noticed street trees dying or failing to shoot this year, most have been there for years.

My only guess is last summers drought pretty much finished them off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Photinias, in my experience, can be fickle; they can, do, suddenly suffer and decline.
      Here 2 red robins died, a little red robin suffered plus Pink Marble???:noidea:

I successfully grow lots of shrubs, perennials, grasses etc. My soil is suitable ...neutral and free draining...and the situation relatively sheltered in a walled garden near the coast!!

I often notice photinias fading from wonderful foliage shrubs to awful specimens in a relatively short time.....I wonder if verticillium wilt is the cause:noidea:

Bill Carr, since they have grown well for a few years the site cannot be waterlogged or unsuitable. If mine, I would give a balanced feed and mulch well. :)

• Bill Carr

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the replies.
      Will give a good feed and hope for the best.
      Would a hard prune help or just finish them off?

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Keep us posted then Bill.:)
      I don’t think hard pruning will do any harm at all....after all photinias are often grown as hedges where regular pruning is the norm.

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      Hi @Bill Carr i don’t know if this will help but it could explain them dying off and not looking healthy.. I do think last year’s king hot summer and then a dryish winter hasn’t helped either though..