1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

photos of my brown leafed pyracantha orange glow. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Rupert, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Rupert

Rupert Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Here are 2 photos of my pyracantha orange glow that has in the last month developed browning of the tips of leaves. Any advice? The plant is in a pot under the eaves of the house, so I water/feed it myself. It already has food granules mixed with the compost but I give it plant food every 2 weeks. I water it thoroughly twice a week. I repotted it last weekend and the roots have barely grown since a year ago so it fits the pot nicely.

I am distressed! Any advive appreciated.

http://www.ruperta.plus.com/pyracantha_orange_glow_brown_leaves_002.jpg

http://www.ruperta.plus.com/pyracantha_orange_glow_brown_leaves_001.jpg

2. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Rupert. I went out and looked at mine. They are planted against a south facing wall and have been there for over twenty years. Just coming into bloom and look lovely. I have a few brown leaves here and there so I wouldn't worry. Your plant looks very healthy otherwise:)

3. Rupert

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rhyleysgranny,

thanks for your reply. It is true to say that apart from some of the leaves browning, the pyracantha looks healthy. It just distressed me the way they suddenly went brown. I cannot wait for the bumper collection of berries this autumn. I love pyracantha - brilliant plant. :)

4. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If you are distressed about it, you could always pinch/cut the brown leaves off, then you can see if anymore develop.

Two questions, how long has the plant been in that pot, could it need re-potting? Also, have you fed it recently? Could it need a feed, or has it been fed too much?

It is looking rather healthy, and I don't think there is masses to worry about.

Hope this Helps!

5. Rupert

Ratings:
    +0
    hi plant1star,

thanks for your reply :) I will try what you say and take off the brown leaves and see if more develop. The browning happened about a day after I put mircacle grow at the base. Maybe I am feeding it too much. You see I wanted to grow it as quick as possible!

I think i will stop feeding it for a while and see what happens.

6. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmmm. I have never fed mine. Maybe that's what's wrong with yours. Not in the feed but it may have splashed on the leaves. Possibility?

I did nearly kill one of mine with weedkiller once. It soaked through to the roots when I was killing Ivy nearby. A thunderous rain shower washed it over. I just cut it right down and Bingo off it went again