1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Physocarpus Diablo

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sheal, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    I'm growing a Physocarpus from a cutting, now about ten inches in height. There's very little info about growing them on the internet so can anyone tell me if I need to nip the tip off at a specific height please?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya Sheal.....I propagated mine from a layered shoot and potted it on. However, the same thereafter as for a cutting. I pinch out every shoot to just a few inches. It makes for a bushier plant from the start.
    Diablo is a relatively suckering shrub anyway and naturally produces a dense habit but early pinching assists this :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,608
      Thanks Verdun. :) There's a bit of a tale to this one of mine. My hairdresser works from home in a rural location and she has three full grown shrubs of this in her garden but didn't know what they were. With her permission I just snapped a piece off to bring home and photograph so I could get it identified here on GC. In for a penny or a pound I decided to put it in water thinking it wouldn't root. Eight weeks on roots appeared and it's now a healthy young plant. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Fond of Diablo.....have it here with solanum Alba on the wall behind it creating a sheet of white flowers and geranium Orion in front of it:)

• Like Like x 1