1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Picea Pungens planting help please.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Eclipse, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I have some Picea Pungens (Blue Spruce) that I'm hoping to plant out. It was my understanding they should be planted when dormant, which would be about now in the U.K.
    Also my friends and family got those little Christmas trees from places like Poundland and Wilkinsons which are basically saplins, they were going to throw them away but I saved them as well (unsure of the exact species). I was going to pot some and plant next year and plant the rest out. Again when is the best time.
    Thanks.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,329
    A lot depends on the weather where you are, Eclipse. Evergreens can suffer badly during the winter from frost and cutting winds, so it might be worth delaying until Spring when the soil has warmed up a bit. Then you'll need to keep an eye on watering them during dry spells for the next year or two.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Eclipse

Eclipse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for your reply.
      Is it worth potting them for the first year then in a good quality soil and maybe plant when they are bigger and stronger?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,329
        If you don't mind watering them regularly then potting them into John Innes compost is an option, but as conifers are pretty slow-growing anyway, I'm not sure that there's anything to be gained. It would be less work to plant them out and be done with it, just make sure that the soil doesn't dry out completely during dry spells, especially if they have peat-based-compost rootballs:)