1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pieris - new leaves suddenly limp and brown?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by pigeon, May 3, 2018.

1. pigeon

pigeon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Everyone,

I need some advice!

Over the past couple of days, most of the new red leaves on my pieris have suddenly turned brown and limp. Some of the leaves are still red, and a couple of days ago these new growths were all bright red. Two other pieris that I have still have all of their bright red leaves.

Not sure if it's related at all, but I've also noticed that a few (not very many) of the green leaves have some spotting/discolourations on them (see the last picture)

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 09.53.40.png Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 09.54.28.png Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 09.54.37.png Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 09.54.45.png .

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Not so sure about the leaf problems possibly drainage but fairly sure the damage to the new growth will be frost. I grow many Pieris and this happens to mine most years:wallbanging:. The damaged growth will fall off and new growth will replace it. The shrubs will not be affected other than the growth rate will be reduced. I have Rhododendrons with flowers ruined by frost on 1 side and fine on the other which could be why some of your Pieris are affected and others not depending on whether the frost got them or not. Annoying but unfortunately Pieris new growth coincides with when we can have damaging frosts. If you haven't had a frost then not a clue:).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • pigeon

Ratings:
      +19
      Hmm, yes - it did get down to 0 here on Tuesday so that would make sense! My other two Pieris are right next to hedges/fences, so I guess they had some protection - but this one is more in the open, so it must have been caught by the frost.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Pigeon, It could well be the new foliage being hit by frost esp on new growth. Those red leaves are highly vulnerable. But you also said 2 other plants were unaffected so ???:noidea:
      However, on the older foliage it looks like lacebug or other pest damage to me. I would spray :)

• pigeon

Ratings:
      +19
      Ive noticed as well, the pieris in my neighbour’s garden looks to have similar kind of damage as well, but not to the same extent as mine.

If it is frost damage, is it better to prune the damaged bits off, or leave them to fall off naturally?

• silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Doesn’t really matter as the frost damage will fall off eventually. If you don’t want a constant reminder and have a tidier look then prune off the damaged stalks. However I would wait a little until any threat of frost has gone as by pruning you will be likely to encourage new growth and you don’t want that frosted too!
      I unfortunately am quite an expert on frost damage:rolleyespink: having to accept it most years. I had (accent on the had) a gorgeous Camellia groaning with white blooms 4 days ago. Now the white blooms are just a mass of brown burnt petals post 2 air frosts. In another part of my garden, sheltered by my house I have another Camellia with red flowers which is totally undamaged.

• pigeon

Ratings:
      +19
      Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about your camellia!! :frown:

My camellias are just starting to look like they will open up soon, I’m hoping that’s it for the frost now. :fingers crossed:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        • Its the white camellias that suffer most from frost and, worse, rapid thawing.....mine is very sheltered from sun until mid morning so browning of the white flowers is not such a problem. They have been flowering here now for several weeks. :)

• silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Not too sure we are comparing Apples with Apples or even Camellias for that matter @Verdun:) I doubt very much that we have the same climate challenges living in opposite parts of the UK. If my Camellias aren't in a reasonable amount of sun they don't flower but then in the sunny spots they are prone to frosts. I grow over 20 (white, dark pink, pale pink and reds) so afraid some or sometimes all get slaughtered but when they don't that are so worth growing. As long as I get to see them flower at least for a few days before getting damaged I accept they along with other plants are likely to suffer frost damage. The upside of living in not perhaps the easiest climate is the soil is good here and despite not having millions in the bank we have over 8 acres of ground. I'll put up with late frosts in exchange and just swear a lot when it happens:).

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Camellias come from areas like China where winters are very cold Silu. They are pretty tough.
        Of course, its the flowers that suffer most from the frosts.
        Agree although we are in opposite sides of the UK (most folk live somewhere in between) camellias, magnolias, azaleas, etc., thrive here in the Cornish climate.:)

Hey! Would love 8 acres Silu:)