1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pinching out new fuscias

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Warwicks1, May 2, 2021.

1. Warwicks1

Warwicks1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,

I've a quick query about some fuchsia plants that I've grown from cuttings... I've attached a pic of one of them below which is about 7" tall.

Fuchsia.jpg

I realise now that I should have been pinching out the top of the plant to help it to bush out, rather than continue to grow as a single stem.

Assuming that I should still pinch out the growing tips, my question is how far back I should pinch in order to create something that will be sturdy and bush nicely in the garden? (I don't know what variety of fuchsia the cuttings came from, but it was basically a large bush about 4 feet tall!)

If anyone has the patience for a second question, it would be when to plant it in the garden (it seems a bit on the small side at the moment!)

Many thanks in anticipation...

Tim.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I'd just take off the top inch or so, pinching delays flowering but if you want a bushy plant I think you have to do it with most varieties.

A Fuchsia grower maybe, with come along and give you a bit more detailed advice. :smile:

Edit, planting out can happen as soon as the last frost is over, so could be another month.
    Can I just say, the pot looks a bit big for such a small plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,204
      Hi,

From your photo, it you nip out those two top leaves, then in the leaf joint thats left it will sprout( if not already there) two new side shoots.

Don't think we would nip it out any lower as only the top few inches, those smaller leaver look good and healthy, not sure why the lower part with the big leaves is so long and thin ?

Do you know its variety ?

Are those lower big leaves looking more a pale yellow, than green ?
      Could be that the are suffering aphids or spider mite ? have you inspected the leaves closely on both sides, you need a strong magnifier to see spider mites.