1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pine cones for a mulch?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by redfifi1717, Feb 18, 2007.

1. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In the garden where I work, the previous gardener had used smallish pine cones on two raised beds for a mulch. They looked very nice and natural. But the two plants that were in there, were holly trees and both very dead so had to remove them. It is also a very windy unsheltered site. Now I have some 'horizontal conifers' to plant there, thought they would do better against the wind. So raked off all the pine cones, to remove a few weeds and dig the soil over, add some fertilizer etc. However, the soil is very soggy. I'm wondering if this is because of all the rain we have had recently. Or,bearing that in mind, have the pine cones stopped the 'drying out' process of the soil? Are the pine cones not such a good idea after all? Also a friend seemed to think that the pine cones contained some sort of 'chemical' that wouldn't really be good for plants anyway! Anyone have any ideas for using pine cones in this way? I am going to dig the soil over, and maybe add some compost to see if this improves / dries out the soil a bit before planting the new conifers.

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, there, Redfifi!
    I haven't come across cones being use as a mulch, but I often use shredded waste from conifers for the purpose. I don't know about the chemistry of it all, but my feeling is that it would be fine to use them, but not necessarily intact. I wonder what the others will say about it, as I'd like to know myself.

The usual remedy for waterlogging is to improve the drainage by digging in compost, etc, and maybe sand and grit, but it would be useful to know if you could just dig in the cones.... I'll keep my eye on this thread, as the answers people come up with could be very useful!

3. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dendy,
    Just done a 'google' on 'pine cones for mulching' and it seems we are ok! Shredding them first would be an idea too. Have you got a shredder? I am hoping to get one for work, so just looking at what is available.

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    That's good news!! Yes, I do have a shredder, but by no means a commercial one. My frien has a pretty decent one, though - I'll ask where he got it, and how much it cost, to give you an idea. :D

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Just spoken to him - he says the thing to look for is a helical screw to crush, rather than the usual spinning disc. It's quieter and more effective.

His is a Bosch, but sometimes sold as a Qualcast, as one firm bought out the other, I believe. It was a bit more expensive, but particularly in your situation, the quietness could be a particular avantage, I reckon. He got it from a "real shop" not the internet, a few years ago, so I haven't got a direct link for you, but when I check the model, I might be able to find a supplier, but in the meantime, I'll google for helical screw shredders!

edited -

Did that, and found it on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-2000HP-Silent-Garden-Shredder/dp/customer-reviews/B0001MQ7PO

Gets good reviews too!

6. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that dendy...yes I was looking at a Bosh. Mind you, we are way out in the stix and I can really make as much noise as I like!!! ear protectors on of course! Happy Gardening!

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    And goggles!!! And don't forget the prodding stick.... :D

Same to you!

8. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the allotment rotivated 2 weeks ago and cost me �£15