1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pine cones

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Liz, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Quite a few years ago after some particularly strong gales in November, we collected some large and beautiful cones from huge pine trees above the beach near Trebah gardens in Cornwall. Over the years I've lost most of them, the photos below being of the only remaining ones, quite small compared with some of the ones I had. Can anyone identify them? The biggest were about 10" long, and the ones in the photo are abot 3-5".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only ones I can find by googling which are similar are Stone Pine cones, but these haven't got quite the same rounded shape to the individual 'flakes'. I am fascinated by the spiral patterns and also by the resemblance to parts of the female anatomy, right down to 'nipples'.
    I made some moulds of the nicest ones from latex, but these have perished. I'd love to obtain some more for making Christmas candles.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,963
    Try Pinus Pinaster,Pinus Radiata or Pinus Attenuata.
    Its not easy ID ing a pine tree just from the cone, unless you are an expert of course.
    It helps to know how many needles are in the bundles on the tree, I asume you dont have that info Liz. [​IMG]

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The ones in your pics look like the Pinus Goldus variety .

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,963
  5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    :D :D :D
    Pinus Tittiana 'Aureum'?