1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plant and Weed identification

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by EnglishmanCFC, Sep 11, 2015.

1. EnglishmanCFC

EnglishmanCFC Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    Firstly, a big holly type bush, which I am beginning to despise in all honesty, I think is a Mahonia, but not sure, but need to know as I'm gonna cut it back quite drastically this year and possibly get rid next

[​IMG][​IMG]

And now some weed which is popping up all over the small bits of soil at the base of my Laurel hedging, looks a bit like clover, and also a small intruding plant that tries to poke through into the Laurel.
    [​IMG]

And finally, this thing that is popping up in my grass, this is taken from just outside my garden as its a clearer moo poo but it's rapidly spreading beneath my grass
    [​IMG]

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Englishman,

The top one is definitely Mahonia. You're really gonna get rid of one of the brightest things of winter ?

Number three, is it the little round leaved plant ? It looks like a Cymbalaria to me. Does it have small purplish snapdragon like flowers and trailing stems ?

3. EnglishmanCFC

EnglishmanCFC Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    Hello mate.

It's more the amount of space it takes up that irritates me, want to cut it back more than get rid of it completely. Was also thinking of cutting all leaves up to about 600mm high and planting a dwarf shrub but don't know if that will work? Was originally looking for a dwarf Escallonia but that's not proving easy!

As for the third, not seen flowers yet, it's just popping up in the middle of the lawn everywhere! The grass is log due to the explosion after recent rain so I'm not sure exactly how much is on the lawn at the moment but there was a good few last time the grass was short enough to see.