1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plant help and weed ID

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by ijb89, May 29, 2021.

1. ijb89

ijb89 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys

First post here - really hoping someone can help.

Also, if I’ve posted this in the wrong place (or if you’d prefer I’d split this into the 3 separate questions), let me know and I’ll delete/report elsewhere.

I’ve got 3 problems;

1. I’ve got a Black Pearl which has just never got going since I bought it at the garden centre a year or so ago. I’m beginning to think it’s dead, but wanted to ask before I take it out whether anyone had any advice or ideas on why it might’ve gone so poor. See pictures below

2. I’ve also got a Bay Tree which I bought from M&S about 2 years ago, which had never grown and doesn’t really put out leaves in any great fashion either. Some leaves (see pics) and discoloured and turning brown too. Again, any advice welcome - it’s by the front door and it’s just not looking anything like I thought it would by now!

3. There’s a really persistent vine weed that continues to grow back no matter how hard I try to pull it up. It’s spreading throughout the garden and I wanted to know a) what it is, and b) how to stop it (I’ve avoided weed killer but it’s so annoying I’d happily plump for some now if that’s the best way to fix?)

Sorry for the massive post but I’ve not got any friends who garden to ask!

Thanks in advance

2472115B-BEA0-475B-938E-7D4365571447.jpeg 78CCA9CA-16FF-469D-B8BF-C0908E76D0F5.jpeg B5162D7C-9DDE-4B22-80AB-463D04A7DD9E.jpeg 25CDB7CE-926D-48EF-9935-CCF8C383F4A3.jpeg 8FC4CAE6-416C-4B3B-B375-67EC6D37515F.jpeg

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    The weed is Hedge Bindweed :yikes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ijb89

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks a lot - I’ll have a look at how to get rid!

dont suppose you’ve got any idea on the other two plants have you?

many thanks regardless

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,918
      Don't know what a Black Pearl is, Black Pearl What?

Both seem to be suffering from the same problem;)

• ijb89

Ratings:
      +1
      I think it's a Loropetalum Chinese Black Pearl, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,918
        I dont know anything about Loropetalum, looks a nice plant if you can get it going.

I'd have to ask, do you have them both in good compost and do you water regularly?

• ijb89

Ratings:
        +1
        Yeah I water both, but haven't changed the compost since I bought them. Would you reccommend mixing some new compost in/repotting them then?