1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Plant i.d.

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by xf8u39, Sep 13, 2021.

1. xf8u39

xf8u39 Gardener

Mechanical Designer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Guys,
    I had this plant given to me by a customer of mine.

I was told it is a spider plant. Ok, so afetr re potting it, it has shown significant signs of growth.

I am particularly interested in the central stalk that has shot out over the last couple of weeks. It is not going straight up, but sideways.
    Does it need to be propped up vertical? And is it a spider plant after all.

Can it be left outside or is it a house plant.

Thanks in advance

Michael.

IMG_20210913_160154643.jpg

2. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,634
    Hi Michael,
    it is indeed a Spider plant and is grown as a houseplant in the UK. The full green version is incredibly flexible houseplant as it will survive and look good in the darkest corners.

The stem with plantlets is it's way to propagate itself, you can pull the plantlets off and root in a glass of water or in compost to increase your stock. Let the stem trail as it is, when the plant makes more of them they look very decorative if you place the plant higher up or in a hanging basket.

The roots are very fat so Spider plants tend to outgrow their container in a year- old, tatty plants can be replaced with the newly rooted kids, or it's also ok to cut or pull of excess roots when re-potting in spring.

Apparently these plants have air purifying properties- don't know about that but they are reliable, nice plants. :)

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    It is a spider plant. In addition to ones with dark green leaves there's variegated ones with white and green stripes.

The stem(s) with plantlets on are left to hang down and are a feature of these spider plants. They can be potted up for additional plants or left to accumulate into an impressive display of trailing growth.

They are not hardy and used as house plants or in summer hanging baskets and window boxes. They need bringing indoors before frosts.

P.S. in addition to propagation from plantlets, they also have flowers on the stems and produce seeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,648
      A quick note on hardiness. If mulched like canna and dahlia, they will come back when planted out. Of course, I'm on the south coast in a very porous soil, so I can get away with a lot more.
      Another note on hardiness. When we have a run of mild winters, these things, chlorophytum comosum, will run riot and grow like spanish bluebells

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,659
      They run amuck here outside all year ... babies in the hanging pots as well!
      Spider Jungle Room 20 Jun.jpg

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      They can get quite large if potted on and fed regularly. Many years ago I grew one in a large pot sitting on top of an A0 (841 x 1189mm) plans chest and had to keep trimmimg the trailing stems to prevent them obstructing the top drawer.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      They can get quite large if potted on and fed regularly. Many years ago I grew one in a large pot sitting on top of an A0 (841 x 1189mm) plans chest and had to keep trimmimg the trailing stems to prevent them obstructing the top drawer.