Plant ideas for a decorative planter (front garden)

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by totalwise, May 31, 2018.

1. totalwise

totalwise Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I got hold of some coloured cladding from a design company who used it as samples. I decided to build a planter out of it.

I'm going to place it on my front garden along the divider with the neighbour.

I was hoping for some ideas for decorative plants and suitable arrangements for it.

I made an impulse purchase and got hold of teeny deep rose costing £3 for 2 from Lidl today. They're small, grow to 20cm tall and have a micro look to them which is perfect for this planter. I was hoping for other ideas on cheap plants to use.

The look I am going for is a sort of clustered variety of different mini plants with perhaps 1 feature plant which is bigger than the rest. It should be evergreen, and be Ok being in close proximity with other plants.

I have attached a pics, ideas would be very much appreciated. 20180531_134252.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,123
      Hi @totalwise Black mondo - Ophiopogon planiscapus Nigrescens would be a low growing striking addition..
      Ornamental strawberry - Pink panda or lipstick
      Daphne odora Aureomarginata - Fragrant Hardy Evergreen Shrub
      Daphne Perfume Princess - They say is the worlds most perfumed shrub.. These are a few I can think of that I would like.. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
      • PetalsonthePavingSlabs

PetalsonthePavingSlabs Gardener

Environmental Health
        Ratings:
        +108
        My first thought was "seaside", I think it was the different coloured slats of wood looking a bit like beach huts. So, I'm thinking typical seaside style planting? There's a list of seaside style planting plants here for ideas: 10 plants for a coastal garden style - David Domoney

Last edited: May 31, 2018
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        The evergreen plant for me would be convolvulous cneorum.........tactile silver cascading foliage and large white flowers through most of the summer total wise. For great contrast Marley's ophiopogon would be ideal :)

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        Hello @totalwise :)... I would go for a mix of sedums[​IMG] - buy a few different small ones quite cheaply, and they spread like billyo. They are easy to propagate - you just have to pull a bit off and chuck it in somewhere else, and away it goes. You could also plant a few small bulbs in underneath them that would grow through when it`s their time to give the planting a bit of oomph. Then if you see another plant that takes your fancy you can add it if and when.
        If your friends have sedums in their gardens, you could offer to help with the pruning :heehee:

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
        My ophiopogon too Tetters :snorky:

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        [​IMG]Oh....alright! ....:uh-oh::heehee:

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
      • rosierosie

rosierosie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +6
        Love that planter! Looks fab!

You haven't said what position the container is in (facing north, south, east or west), or what type of weather it will have to contend with (hot sun, wind, etc). This information is pretty important. Without it, no-one can suggest plants that would definitely be suitable and happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1