Plant over spring bulbs

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Kon, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Kon

Kon Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    I have raised beds with some spring bulbs in them (crocus, hyacinth, etc.). A nice display of colour in the spring, but by now they have all died back.

Is there anything I can do with this space (i.e. can the bulbs 'share a bed' with summer / autumn-flowering plants?) Are there plants that pair well with spring bulbs, or ones to avoid? Or do I just have to leave this area vacant until next spring?

Thanks

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    You will be able to get some wallflower plants soon Kon.....plant them out for greenery over the winter and to add to the spring display :)
    Lupins will give you greenery over winter plus flowers in early summer and blend well with your bulbs.
    Pansies and violas will associate well too and flower during mild spells over winter and then on to early summer.
    Winter heathers are evergreen and flower in late winter into early spring. Many have coloured foliage ...foxhollow for example has bright yellow evergreen foliage. Your bulbs will pop up among the heathers and other plants.
    Sun roses, helianthemums, are evergreen, will both cascade over edges and spread to form mounds of foliage and come in a wide range of colours. They will enjoy a raised bed environment too.
    Libertias ...the taupas group...have attractive olive foliage with tones of red, are evergreen and add a spikey, grass like look to your bed. White flowers then into spring. Festucas too, lovely blue dwarf grasses with beige coloured flowers in summer. Campanulas make mounds of foliage with blue summer flowers but look out for Dicksons Gold, an evergreen yellow plant with blue flowers in summer.
    Lots and lots to choose from to enhance your raised beds Kon :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1